No high beams

Jimy Kraus

The high beams on my '88 Reatta quit working. Both sealed beams are operable, as are all fuses and relays. The steering column stalk switch is also operable, but in panic of losing all illumination the first time in the dead of night now dangling due to my afterward anger. These cars are plagued with electrical problems due to technology GM used the public in place of a R & D dept.  There's a reason they abandoned the touch screen by 1990 and returned to traditional knobs and switches. That thing is a collision just waiting to occur 

• Sad 1

Did you have a question about helping you fix your problem or just wanting to rant?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Did you have a question about helping you fix your problem or just wanting to rant?

Yes, Sorry I forgot to ask if anyone had dealt with the same issue.  I am wondering what that headlamp control module located in the engine compartment does, and if that is where my problem lies ?? 

Edited by Jimy Kraus

The headlight control module is only for opening and closing of the headlight doors. It has no control over the lights coming on. I assume your doors open as they should? Your problem might be a broken wire at the headlight connector. It is a common problem since the wires are constantly being twisted by the doors opening and closing. I've had it happen myself. The lights are connected together by a common wire. If I remember correctly, if a wire at one of the connectors breaks it can knock out the light on both sides.

headlight_wire_routing-4.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you. I will strip the plastic conduit back and inspect the wiring more closely to locate where there could be a breakage.

9 hours ago, Ronnie said:

The headlight control module is only for opening and closing of the headlight doors. It has no control over the lights coming on. I assume your doors open as they should? Your problem might be a broken wire at the headlight connector. It is a common problem since the wires are constantly being twisted by the doors opening and closing. I've had it happen myself. The lights are connected together by a common wire. If I remember correctly, if a wire at one of the connectors breaks it can knock out the light on both sides.

headlight_wire_routing-4.jpg

Found the break in the wire.  Soldered and shrink tubed it back together.  Thank you again Ronnie !! 

• Like 2