Driver's Side Door Lock

ColoradoReatta

Does anyone know anything about the door locks? The automatic door locks on my 1990 do not work. I hear a slight clicking sound toward the back of the car but nothing happens. Also, my driver side door lock does not work. The key will turn to the right, but not to the left and it doesn't unlock or lock the door. Do you know if the key is supposed to turn left or right to unlock? Thankfully, I can unlock the passenger side door and get in that way. Any insight is helpful!

Can you lock and unlock the drivers door from the inside manually?

On my '88 model, turning the key on to the left on the driver's door should unlock it. Turning it to the right should lock it. If it won't do that then you will probably have to remove the door panel and investigate the problem. There are some small rods inside the door that connect to a pivot point. One of them going to the key lock might have came loose.

Ok, I figured it might be something like that. Any thoughts on the automatic locks?

If the lock won't work manually it's not going to work automatically with the remote. An electric solenoid just pushes the rods I was referring to you operate the doors with the remote. I would get the lock working manually and then check out the automatic locks while you have the door panel off.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

When the linkage gets gummed up the solenoid is not strong enough to move the lock. Before disassembly I usually raise the window all the way and spray PB Blaster (WD40 gets gummy with age) in while working the lock manually.

Oh Cool! Thanks for all the ideas! Is the door panel pretty easy to take off?

Instructions for removing the door panel are in the how-to guide section of this website.

• Like 1

Ah! Yes! I just found that! Thanks so much!