Illuminated Interior panels

Buzzard67

HI everyone, I was wondering if anyone on this forum could take and post photos of their interior panel at night ( radio, heat/AC,) lights. Basically anything directly above your center council.

The reason I ask is I have a illuminated dimmer switch ( low end to the left slide right to brighten ) does nothing. I can slide it all the way to the right to turn the dome light on but everything in-between does nothing.

Let me be clear the radio, climate control buttons have back lights if you push them ( light amber color). I have no lights at night to help guide me which button to push, no backlit panels.

If this is the way its designed way would they put a dimmer switch in it?

Just wondering. I would love some interior photos at night to compare my panel.

Tech spec. 1990 Buick Reatta.

Thanks in advance

p.s. Everyone have a Fun and safe July 4th. Go show off those Beautiful Buicks

This is a pic of mine with ignition and parking lights on. Without ignition on, there are no lights, no matter if headlights are on. My slide dimmer does nothing as well, just as you describe. 

Related to this, I wanted a bit of ambient light in the cabin at night so I added two blue led lights that shine straight down through small holes in the rear view mirror. There is 12v available there when ignition is on and it works well. I did use a variable resistor (pot) to get the brightness I wanted when I did the mod.EE681397-40D9-4C55-9F2F-52B35892E148.thumb.jpeg.355f9deb7538c45e65fc6a2e633e5303.jpeg

EDIT Now that I see the photo, I see you can pick up the blue ambient lights. This photo was taken without flash in a dark garage.

Edited by 2seater

Love the modified blue light ! Great photo !

It answers my question.  The buttons do glow light green to show you where they are. Mine don't.

Now I have to search the who to section and ask members what to look for and how to fix.

Cross my fingers its just a fuse. Hahaha like it would be that easy.

Thanks great Photo and what is the aftermarket radio you found that fits ?

The radio is a Pioneer din and a half they used to make but none currently in production. The original I installed an the late 90's died after a couple decades and I found a used one on eBay.

I like the ambient lighting too. It could be any color desired of course. It was inspired by a Subaru Forester I have that had that built into the overhead console. The mirror was the most convenient place since there is switched power already there but it would be a bit better if further to the rear. I recommend a spare mirror from the junkyard to experiment on before committing the original😎