Stumped

jon L

I recall something about a mercury switch near the passenger side hinge. (No promises from memory).

'89 FSM indicates the switch is built into the light fixture. The light is hot all the time and comes on when the switch provides a ground through the trunk lid. The FSM doesn't specify if the switch is a mercury switch or not but I suspect it is. Riviera's wiring for the light is different.

On my '90, the switch is in the latch. The light will stay out as long as the lid is closed, even unlatched, but will pop on as soon as the latch starts to clear. I know this because I drive with the trunk lid unlatched the majority of the time and while driving with the rear pass through open, I noticed the light blinking on and off when traveling over rougher roads. I don't know if mine is odd, but it uses a two pronged single filament bulb, a 1004 from memory, not the 1003 called for in the FSM. It is not a self grounding socket, but a hot and ground are routed to the two contacts in the bulb.

I believe that the switch is within the bulb. When I put the correct bulb in, it worked correctly.

Does the latch look like this? The lever extending from the small plastic switch on the left rear of the latch operates the light. What is the correct bulb?

BA370070-2B81-4AB9-A182-07587E517142.jpeg

The correct bulb is 1005. Double contact, no ground in case

My '88 trunk light works the way I expected. I don't see it but I assume there is a mercury switch somewhere in there.  No switch in the latch like '90 (and probably '91) models. I removed my light from the trunk and clipped on a jumper for a ground. When I point the light fixture down, the light comes on. When I point it up, the light goes off. I can open my trunk about 6-8" without the light coming on. 

trunk light 1.jpg

trunk light 2.jpg

trunk_latch-1.JPG

• Like 1

That looks the same as the under hood light. I wanted to reorient it for better coverage with an led, which is much more directional, but I couldn't due to the apparent switch in the socket. Now it makes perfect sense.

• Like 1

AFAIR early cars have a 1003 single contact and later cars have a double contact 1005

• Confused 1

No, 1005 is a dual filament which may work but 1004 is the correct single filament, dual contact isolated ground.49B1F33C-2821-4551-BFDE-E4F3D5FB8688.jpeg.32dd6f742c0e8e6c87ea20e6e2c52c12.jpegF02A7756-848C-4B6D-8FA1-1EE413E5D53D.jpeg.f4d9170864468f850164bcc06d6d0f85.jpeg

Don't know about anyone else's Reatta, but my '91 (and my previous '92 Rivieras) take a 1004 bulb for the trunk...just sayin'

• Thanks 1

10 responses [not counting any of your posts] and pictures on top of it, and you already knew that the correct bulb activates the switch after being told the switch is in the mount/socket. What did we miss?

• Confused 1