ALDL question

DAVES89

I have an intermittant Amber ABS light situation that I want to read. Everytime I start the car up the light goes off and then comes back on and goes off and back and forth agagain and again. I keep thinking that because it does this it might be clearing itself out.

So my question is can I test it by the side of the road with the car running or do you think it is still stored in the computer even if the car is off?

Pretty sure the EBCM stores codes. You know about jumpering the ALDL connector and counting flashes ?

Never heard of or saw one acting like that.

Edited by Padgett

Have you read this article?  How To Check ABS Codes Below is what it says about how codes are stored and cleared. I think what I highlighted in red is key to what is causing your intermittent problem.

ABOUT CLEARING ABS CODES: ABS codes are stored in non-volatile memory. You cannot clear the codes by unplugging the ECBM, disconnecting the battery cables or turning off the ignition switch.  To clear the ABS codes you must drive the car over 18 miles per hour and they will automatically be cleared if you have repaired all problems that caused the ABS trouble codes to set. If you drive the car greater than 18 miles per hour and the yellow ABS light comes on the ECBM is still detecting a problem and codes will be present when you check the codes again. 
The ECBM will not allow the codes to be cleared unless ALL codes have been read.