Fuel sending unit

Wade Whitmire

Can anyone tell me where I can buy the correct fuel sending unit for a 1990 Reatta?  Thank you in advance 

Welcome to the forum. There are no exact replacement sending units available that I'm aware of. There is a close replacement fuel pump/sending unit combo that others have used. The fuel level will be slightly off with it. Sorry, I don't know the part number, but I'm sure someone will be along and post it soon.

Dorman 692-102 will work, however when the fuel indicator comes on at 2 gallons you will have about 6 left. I have about 25000 miles on it since I had it installed. Part of the 25,000 miles were 5,000 miles to Brownsville Texas back home to Wisconsin with driving around in Brownsville as our sole vehicle to use. Never a hiccup.

Edited by DAVES89
  • Thanks 1

ps "This fits the following. 1988 Cadillac Eldorado 1988 Cadillac Seville". Eldo is a similar platform to Reatta. Wonder if it fits an Allante. How tall is it, top to bottom ?

• 2 months later...

Hi friends. Does anyone know if the Dorman 692-102 sending unit will work for a 1991 Reatta? Originally the 91 used GM part number 25028165.

My guess is that it will, however having never owned a '91 I cannot tell you for sure.

I'm going to give it a shot. After an exhaustive search it was the only unit I can find that is remotely close to GM part number 25028165. I'll report back when I find out how it works.

• Thanks 1

You should be good as the gas tank is the same. Because the 90/91s don't show fuel usage like the 88/89s with the CRT that you drive the car down to the warning light showing about 2 gallons left that you then fill up the car at that point. This will give you a good idea how far your sending unit is off [on mine it is about 4 additional gallons still left in the tank giving me 6 gallons]. You may want to take along a 1 or 2 gallon gas can so you aren't stranded. Also watch your trip mileage counter. 

That is a good tip. I wonder if the sending unit float could be bent in a way to match the OEM unit so that the level would be correct. I won't know until have everything out of the car. Either way it's ok, I can go off of trip meter and it is not likely we'll take it on many long road trips. 

I'll take some measurements of it. I think it might arrive in the mail tomorrow.

8 hours ago, MN91Reatta said:

That is a good tip. I wonder if the sending unit float could be bent in a way to match the OEM unit so that the level would be correct. I won't know until have everything out of the car. Either way it's ok, I can go off of trip meter and it is not likely we'll take it on many long road trips. 

Unlikely it can be bent to get a more accurate reading, the pivot point needs to be lower. You might get it closer on the low end of travel but it will show full for a longer time at the top as a consequence which might be preferable?

• Like 1

On 8/19/2022 at 2:38 PM, Padgett said:

I'd be interested to know if the Dorman works and how long the sending unit is.

I took some pictures and measurements of the Dorman sending unit. From the top of the fuel sending unit to the bottom of it is 7.5 inches. I measured the gas tank and it is 8.5 inches deep from the ring to the bottom. It looks like it should be a good fit. 

I bought all new parts to build a new sending unit/pump including a new pulsator. The instructions with the pulsator indicate that the fuel strainer should be turned so that the float rests on top of it. I wonder if incorrect fuel level with the Dorman sending unit could be fixed if the strainer were turned 90 degrees so that the float doesn't hit the strainer and instead is allowed to hit the bottom of the tank? I would be curious to see a stock sending unit and how far down the float hangs.

Unfortunately, I won't get a chance to see mine. I've decided to take it to a shop. Removing the rear sway bar was a larger task than I wanted to take on. I'll ask my mechanic to compare the two and report back what he finds. I'll also keep you posted as to how accurate mine is once it's done.  (Side note, I ordered new sway bar bushing from East Coast Reatta Parts since the bar will be off the car.)

20220820_184135.thumb.jpg.45e8cb2bb9441e12035df61b6598f159.jpg20220820_184553.thumb.jpg.01dcaca381b82e6e7f9c214076a3c69e.jpg20220822_184142.thumb.jpg.29adf0e95f19ce8de06a42276ae3db18.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update friends.

My mechanic finally had the time to get the car in the air and start working on the gas tank replacement. The good news, he'll get the tank done. He had a bit of a challenge converting the steel lines on the sending unit to the nylon lines on the car, but I'm confident he'll succeed. 

The bad news... the rear cross member is so rusty it's pretty much shot. The steering rack is leaking, valve covers are leaking, a transmission line needs replacement, and he probably hasn't found all of the bad news yet. I'm left wondering what to do with a car I love, that has a body that is in pretty good shape, but mechanicals that are failing. It pains me to think I might have to get it back and park it in my shop for who knows how long while the parts continue to get harder and harder to find. I can find parts for my 64' and 66' barracudas easier than I can the Reatta haha.

What would you do? I've run out of garage stalls so picking up a donor parts car is likely out of the question, no need to ask my wife that question 😂

• Sad 1