Drivers door electric striker assembly

bghere

Good day all, You may remember that last time I was on forum, I mentioned a problem of battery drain,  no one could find the problem! I was told yesterday that the drivers door striker has a electric module saying door is open , when closed. Trying to buy one, would anyone know where I could buy one?

Thank you for any help.

Bruce

IMG_7439.jpg

IMG_7438.jpg

Edited by bghere
show photos

I never heard of that module. Did you have a message on the CRT saying the door was open?

Hi Ron, Yes! it state door a open. To you knowledge are there electronics attached to door striker?

I think there is a switch that tells the BCM the door is open. That would turn on the interior lights. I'll look at the FSM and see if I can find anyting else.

TKS, this is driving me crazy! Not to mention my WIFE! LOL

24 minutes ago, bghere said:

Hi Ron, Yes! it state door a open. To you knowledge are there electronics attached to door striker?

I looked at the FSM and looked at my car as well to see how it functions. There is nothing I could find attached to the striker on the door jamb.

There is a switch on the front door jamb that sends a signal to the BCM to turn on the interior lights when the door is open. With the door open you can push that switch and the interior lights should go off.

There is a switch inside the door that will activate the interior lights when the exterior door handle is lifted, IF the doors are closed and locked. Lifting the door handle does not activate the interior lights on my '88 if the doors are unlocked. 

There is also a switch on the rear door jamb near the bottom, (it looks like a black knob sticking out). That switch appears to work in conjunction with the switch on the front door jamb to tell the BCM the door is ajar and display a message on the CRT.

You can test the operation of all those switches by entering the diagnostics system and going to BCM>Inputs. That is the best way to troubleshoot this type of electrical problem. 

As far as I can tell the BCM controls all the interior lights and the displays a door ajar message based on the inputs from the switches I mention above. I see no separate module that says the door is open.

Ronnie is correct there are three switches for the door but no module. I don't believe this is the reason for the drain...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

There is also a switch on the rear door jamb near the bottom, (it looks like a black knob sticking out). That switch appears to work in conjunction with the switch on the front door jamb to tell the BCM the door is ajar and display a message on the CRT.

After further investigation, I'm not sure I'm correct about how the black knob sticking out at the bottom of the door jam plays into telling the BCM the door is ajar. Since my last post, I discovered by pushing on it that it is also is part of the seat belt mechanism that takes up slack in the belt. I've never had that apart but I'm just guessing there is a switch that works off that mechanism to.

The door ajar switch is the one on the end of the latch at the end of the door. Been a long time since I did anything with that but if I had to guess I believe you take off the latch to get at it.

However once again I don't believe that is causing the drain. But I could be wrong...

• Like 1

I would suspect the spring loaded push switch on the jamb at the front of the door (other end from striker).

• Like 1

YO!, if you get a free moment could you call me 508-971-7047

Monday I'll look for switch, both you and Ron . I've replaced the BCM, and I don't think that was it, but I have to see what he is talking, over the phone!! Have a wonderful week-end friends.

Sorrry, but if you mean me I don't call anyone. Did it once before and then the guy called all the time. Everything for me through the forum. Remember we are volunteers willing to help. This is not a paid position. 

and even with amplifiers and headset, I use a phone as little as possible. At least I get free hearing aids.

• Like 1

Hi Ron. Padgett, went to shop, he showed me what looks to be broken, and I took pic of the two other switches. So import would help, let me know !  the plastic piece was hanging in behind striker looks broken.

I believe that is the part that indicates "door open".