Dead Reatta 89

Bob T

Have a 1989 reatta. bought dead on arrival, been trying to get it running. started by checking  ignition replaced coils, inn box, crank sensor, now have spark. checked no fuel at manifold replaced fuel pump and sender unit, filter now have 42 psi at manifold. I crank it and started ran at 2000 rpm till it warmed up. now  try to start and it will fire along but won't start  I find the air plentum gets very warm sounds like trying to miss and back fire but won't start.  have any ideas of what is wrong?

Check to see if the spark plug wires got crossed while swapping parts.

I had a lot of the same symptoms and turned out my crank sensor was out of adjustment.

I have checked and double checked plug wires. is there a way to adjust the crank sensor it is new thanks for reply.

If it was out of action for an extended period of time with the fuel system empty, I would look at the little filter inside the inlet of each fuel injector. Possible they plugged up even though you have spark and good fuel pressure. 

Spray some starter fluid ito the intake. If it fires then quits, fuel is not gettinng to the cyl. If nada then ignition. Could be CPS or ICM but not cam sensor.

5 hours ago, Bob T said:

I have checked and double checked plug wires. is there a way to adjust the crank sensor it is new thanks for reply.

See Ronnie's post on "Stranded on the side of the road". Plenty of information there on swapping and adjusting the Crank Sensor.

I have replaced the injectors with new  and checked he stranded on side of road found in there the note on CPS when I replaced it I did not adjust it and it is loose in bracket. I don't see how to use the business card cut to T how to use it   where do I tighten it down the manuel says us special tool. can someone tell me more?  Thank you

First off the bracket has to be tight to the engine [10mm bolts] There is a pin that sticks out from the engine that matches up to a hole in the bracket to maintain accuracy. Then what you do is slide the balancer into the bracket leaving it slightly loose so you can slide it around as you slide on the Harmonic Balancer. Once you have the Harmonic Balancer on [be sure it's on the key]. In other words if it is in place and on the key it will not turn in your hands. Then what you do is slide the business card between the crank sensor and the inside shutter gate on your balancer. The Tee on the business card is on the top so it doesn't fall through while you tighten the little 7 or 8mm bolt from the bottom of the bracket. The car has to be in the air and you will be on the ground using a longer extension to get to it. 

So  here it is again. Slide the Crank Sensor on the bracket. Tighten the bracket slightly to hold the Crank Sensor from moving too freely. Slide the Harmonic balancer just a bit to do a rough alignment of the Crank Sensor to the Harmonic Balancer and making sure not to damage the Crank Sensor during this step. Once again you may have to partially slide the harmonic Balancer to make sure the Crank Sensor is in a place to allow the Harmonic balancer to go all the way on and over the key. Once you have the Balancer in place drop the card in from the top through the Crank Sensor to give you the gap needed for the spacing on the inside shutter track. Then crawl back under the car and tighten down the crank sensor bolt locking it in place. Then tighten down the Harmonic Balancer bolt to 225 foot pounds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In other words the slots in the CPS have to be centered on the rings extending from the balancer.

• Agree 1

I'm soaking all this good information in about the CPS. I'll be changing mine sometime next week.