Code “00” persisting after IPC rebuild

Imdylanr

I bought two Buick reattas off of a guy in the town that I am working in. One is a 1990 and the parts car is a 1991. Both of them have the infamous 00 error code. I had the IPC rebuilt by clusterfix in an attempt to fix the error code. Just put it in today and the code is still there. I have cleaned the contacts on the BCU, cleaned the contacts on the IPC, and cleaned the ignition. Any idea on what else it could be? The test light does work. Neither of the cars are registered at the moment because I do not have the mileage because the IPC is reading the error code. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

00 means all communications have been lost. Bet the cover that says "Do not remove" is missing. Do they run ? What about the diagnostics.

Welcome to the forum! Have you tried the rebuilt IPC in both cars and it won't work in either one of them?

1 hour ago, Padgett said:

00 means all communications have been lost. Bet the cover that says "Do not remove" is missing. Do they run ? What about the diagnostics.

Yes it was missing. Both of them run. I do not have an OBD1 scan tool or any way of borrowing one. Both cars aren’t registered. 

13 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Welcome to the forum! Have you tried the rebuilt IPC in both cars and it won't work in either one of them?

Thank you! I have not tried the rebuilt IPC in both cars. Both dashboards in each car have the same error message. In both cars the test light did work. I tried each dashboard In each car before one of them was rebuilt. Nothing changed. I could try that tomorrow though. 

I would try the rebuilt in both cars. There is always a chance the rebuilt IPC is still bad. Read the how-to guide on the 00 Error here on ROJ. It might give you some ideas on what to check.

• Thanks 1

Are you aware of the built in diagnostics ? For an external scan tool I prefer an OTC 2000 with a 92 or 93 Pathfinder cartridge but if communications are lost it may not work either, why is best to try the internal tool first.

15 minutes ago, Padgett said:

Are you aware of the built in diagnostics ?

How could he use it if the IPC is bad on his '90 & '91? Is there a way?

I don't know but the IPC is just a display, codes are developed elsewhere. Worth a try.

• Agree 1