Oil Pressure Gauge

Buzzard67

Hello everyone. I have a question for all the backyard mechanics. While driving my 1990 Reatta at normal speeds my oil gauge was jumping forward and returning to center. This happened multiple times. It happens with acceleration also with deceleration. 

The engine runs a little rough while idling. I thought I would mention that if it has any connection to the oil gauge reaction. 

Also I did scan the how to section already. It did mention a sensor. And the way to identify  and clean it in regard's to the idling problem ( haven't tried repair yet ). But that doesn't explained oil gauge. The oil gauge only goes from center to max and back again. It never drops below center ( straight up and down ).

Well I thought the experience of the forum members might have some answers.

Thanking you

Oil Pressure Sending Unit is a common failure. Fairly easy repair. I have had a number fail on my cars and never noticed a rough idling issue associated with it.

1 hour ago, Buzzard67 said:

But that doesn't explained oil gauge. The oil gauge only goes from center to max and back again. It never drops below center ( straight up and down ).

Well I thought the experience of the forum members might have some answers.

Common failure mode for the oil pressure sensor. If it jumps high for very long it will set a code in the ECM. No repairs for the sensor. Just replace it and your problem will be solved.

oil_pressure_sender.JPG

Was so common, Buick had a TSB. Original had silver body, replacement has black body & easy to snap.

OILPRES2.thumb.JPG.a163b145f8bbf153599cb69d11d32e08.JPG

Once again everyone is a great help. 

Outstanding!!

I'm taking a long holiday weekend starting Friday and will tackle both problems when I return.

I'm so glad that this seams to be a common problem and not a whole engine tear down.

Thanking everyone. Have a great weekend.

P.S. I always like when there are pictures or diagrams to go with answers.

• Like 1