Looking at an 88 .. dash and computer dark in Park, Reverse, and Neutral

rhubarb9999

I looked at an 88 today.  74K miles .. almost perfect interior.  It has not moved in at least 10 years.  Here is the issue I am having.

Hooked up a battery.  Interior lights up.  Turn the key and the Service engine and brake lights come on .. and I hear the fuel pump.  But no dash or computer .. and it won't turn over.

As soon as I move the shifter into Drive, the dash and computer light up in all the lower gears.  But I can't turn over the engine in gear.

Before I buy it I would like to hear the engine at least crank so I know it is not locked up.

Any ideas? 

What happens in Neutral (should start there also). Does the CRT come on ?

I don't believe so.  I think the dash and CRT only came on in Drive and lower.

Sounds like the wiring has either been messed with or eaten. Walk away unless free.

The car is very original.  It was owned by an older man and it was parked when he died.

There are no signs of animals on the inside of the car .. so if something was chewed (which is possible) it would be external.

When the CRT is on, it works perfectly.  Are there any service codes I could look at?

Could it be related to the neutral safety switch?  What else is tied to the position of the shifter?  Is there an easy way to bypass that switch?

Thanks!