New Owner Here

TPIGroove

Hello all. I recently acquired a 1988 Reatta, a beautiful blue on blue vehicle in what I'd say is okay shape. Despite that it's got a few minor issues I would like to fix up.

As it is, I acquired this vehicle as a "holdover", since I lost my last car in an accident. I got this because I prefer older vehicles from this era, although I can tell I won't be keeping this. I would like to restore its features and find someone who would be more likely to appreciate it, though. It has about 91k miles on it, mechanically it appears to be very strong so that's a good sign, and the electronic dash seems to work properly.

Here are the issues it has:

One mechanical oddity that I'm not sure is a "feature" or a problem. When turning in a corner, the steering wheel keeps trying to fight and nudge itself back and straighten up. I'm holding the wheel in a corner and I need to keep correcting the wheel, and it becomes this back-and-forth seesaw motion. I really, really don't like this but I can't imagine it being normal. It does this at any speed.

The driver's seat is lopsided, the motor and shaft for the recline mechanism seem to be completely disconnected from the lower seat bracket, and although the motor works, the vertical shaft isn't spinning with the motor, so it won't raise or lower. On top of that I see the passenger side has a shaft connecting the motor to the other side of the seat, that's missing from the driver's side as well.

There's no interior lights at all. Not sure if that's a fuse thing, but I'd figure there should be something in there at night, fumbling with the controls in the dark is awkward.

I'll need to get into the passenger door eventually. The power lock isn't able to fully open or close, it tries to move but can't make the full journey and I need to manually engage or disengage it. The power window also has an issue, it only travels partway before getting stuck while the motor makes a horrible grinding noise. It makes this noise when the window is fully closed as well.

The radio was working fine when I got it, but as soon as I got home the speakers blew and now I get this horrible noise from the rear right speaker and nothing else from the radio.

Oh, and the spoiler and fake vents as well, I don't plan on keeping those at all.

1988 reatta.jpg

"steering wheel keeps trying to fight and nudge itself back" - dirt in shuttle. PS needs flushing. Lucky it did not try to break a finger.

"The driver's seat is lopsided" - need to remove seat and straighten/reassemble frame mechanism.

In that era GM was using paper element speakers, need to replace with mylar.

Rest is pretty much as described.

Best to obtains a Factory Service Manual but  Haynes or Motor manual is pretty good.

9 hours ago, TPIGroove said:

Oh, and the spoiler and fake vents as well, I don't plan on keeping those at all.

👍

Alright, spoiler removed, unfortunate I had to plug up the holes but it is what it is. For the seat, the main body isn't disconnected from the rails, it's only the back of the seat. Here's a couple of more pictures to give you an idea of what I was talking about.

reattaseat1.JPG

reattaseat2.JPG