82 year old needed one more auto project

LarryK

Good morning to all:  I recently bought 2 1990 Reattas.  One is very nice but has a transmission in limp mode.  The other spent 1/3rd of its life in a pasture in Okla and has a lot of rust and some damage underneath.  Both have good bodies and engines and one has a good transmission.  I am thinking that I will use the one with the rust damage as a parts car.  What I need help with at the moment is where are the shift solenoids on these vehicles and how do I access them for replacement.  I do not have a manual, so utube or pictures would certainly be appreciated.  I have worked on many cars in the past but not the reattas.

Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks LK

Welcome to the forum Larry. sounds like you have taken on a good project. Your 1990 transmission isn't electrically shifted. There isn't a limp mode and there are no solenoids to replace. You transmission is hydraulically shifted with pressure changes in the valve body. Feel free to ask any questions about your Reatta that you might have.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, jon L said:

Wow, that's great. Sorta makes the How-to guides on here insignificant.  It would be nice to have a license to put the manuals on ROJ but I don't see that happening.

• Agree 1

Actually is one solenoid and is for the TCC (Transmission Controlled Clutch or lockup). I strongly advise buying a Factory Service Manual for Buick "E" bodies, Reatta and Riviera. Also learn the use of the on board diagnostics built into the dash.