Fixing up the seats!

El-Grumpo

My Reatta is mostly down to sorting out electrical and cosmetic concerns now, and I'm getting around to fixing up the seats. I've finished up the passenger seat and am working on the driver's seat now. I'm learning as I go, but I think the driver's seat will prove a challenge regardless.

Used this video mostly for reference:

IMG_20220403_000455.jpg

IMG_20220405_132841.jpg

IMG_20220407_141151.jpg

IMG_20220410_175135.jpg

IMG_20220410_181139.jpg

• Like 1

By the way if you ever have to move these further than your garage, get a cart or dolly! They are HEAVY

Thanks. It's definitely a learning experience and I made some mistakes, but it's still a big improvement (and I'm not trying to win awards haha.) I was surprised Duplicolor's burgundy vinyl/leather dye does a pretty good job of matching the color once fully treated (it probably helps I'm doing both seats so they'll eventually match regardless.) I just hope my work is sturdy enough, but time will tell!

Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric Spray High Performance Burgundy Aerosol 11 OZ HVP110

• Like 2

Pretty darn impressive. Looks good! Let us know how the driver's seat turns out.

• Agree 2

That looks awesome!  My interior is tan with no split seams or tears, much like yours and I'm concerned that it might just be a surface treatment.  I wonder too, is it necessary to remove the seats at all?

8 hours ago, fun car guy said:

I wonder too, is it necessary to remove the seats at all?

Not if you intend to paint the whole interior of your car.

• Haha 1

On 4/12/2022 at 8:45 AM, fun car guy said:

-I wonder too, is it necessary to remove the seats at all?

I would highly recommend doing so if you plan on repainting the seats after any patching, but also just because the stuff used can be pretty smelly and messy. Removing the seats is pretty easy (there's a guide on this site even- I referred to it) but if they're power seats they are HEAVY.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tallicat said:

They look really good but not even close the the factory color.

It's something I'm not terribly concerned with, since I'm doing both seats they'll match each other in the end. I'm fine if they're not 100% accurate or like-new, so long as I'm satisfied in the end.

I've started working on the driver's seat, for those interested. I've removed the old patches and glue, then started applying patching underneath to secure loose ends and applying repair/filler and sanding where needed.

IMG_20220410_181139.jpg

IMG_20220413_141703.jpg

IMG_20220415_013731.jpg

IMG_20220415_215934.jpg

• Like 2

Wow. If you can bring those seats back to life I will be super impressed regardless of the color match. What brand is the products you are using for the filler and the cleaner?

• Agree 1

Looks great but I'd be concerned that it's totally a surface treatment and will certainly crack soon.  Just one knee on the seat would do it.