How do you Replace Rear Speakers on 90' Reatta?

lukehemstreet

I have two 6x9 Pioneer speakers for the rear but do not know how to replace. I pulled back the carpet in the trunk, but only have enough room to unscrew three of the four screws that hold the speaker in. Any tips?

Welcome to the forum Luke! Is your '90 a coupe or a convertible?  I think my '88 is different from your '90 so I can't help. I'm sure someone will come along soon who can answer your question.

I have a '91 coupe, but I believe your '90 coupe rear speakers are mounted similarly.  The Service Manual is extremely vague concerning non-Bose std speakers (no written instructions, just a couple of pics).  But the pics seem to indicate that to get to all 4 screws you need to remove the interior side panels to which the speakers are attached.  Let us know how/if you succeed as I plan to replace both front and rear non-Bose std speakers next month.  I knew I'd have to remove the door panels for the front speakers but was undecided re: removal of the rear panels to get to those.   

4 hours ago, ship said:

I have a '91 coupe, but I believe your '90 coupe rear speakers are mounted similarly.  The Service Manual is extremely vague concerning non-Bose std speakers (no written instructions, just a couple of pics).  But the pics seem to indicate that to get to all 4 screws you need to remove the interior side panels to which the speakers are attached.  Let us know how/if you succeed as I plan to replace both front and rear non-Bose std speakers next month.  I knew I'd have to remove the door panels for the front speakers but was undecided re: removal of the rear panels to get to those.   

Yeah I've looked around the panels behind the seats, but have no idea how to take them off. I want to be careful because of how fragile the plastic pieces and trims are. Ive already snapped a clip that holds the black trim on while trying to take it off. Hopefully someone here can give me some tips on panel removal.

The black trim is just dressing and does not need to come off the panels.  My advice is to just study what "layers" of parts need to come off to get to the rear speakers from inside the cabin.  What's the outer most layer...probably the molded hanger clip for the seat belts, then the coat hanger clip, the door sill, upper side and rear window panels, then the lower side panel that houses the cloth speaker grill cover, et, etc.  Just take your time and remember, don't break anything!  Take pics, take notes, and report back so that we all can benefit from your experience. 

• Like 1