Oil pressure sending unit

Karl

The oil pressure gauge readings are bouncing all over the place on my 1990 convertible. Engine is running fine and I know the sending unit is typically the problem. Remember reading that there are several sending units that will supposedly work on our cars, but they don’t all work. I can’t find that info and I’m looking for part number or specific sending units to order.

thanks,

karl

PS just had to add a picture with the new cloth top that I just had installed 😁😁

3CB2D5F7-CB63-4738-9CFD-435292B4979F.jpeg

Actually, same applies to my '91 Reatta and my once owned '92 Riviera.  In the 10 years I've owned my '91 I've replaced a defective sensor three times...the '92 Riviera was replaced twice.  None had any engine block issues or IPC issues, just bad sensors.  They were crap back in the day and continue to be crap today.

• Agree 1

Dunno how many I've replaced and not just 3800s. Still keep a spare on hand.

Rock Auto: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/buick,1990,reatta,3.8l+231cid+v6,1019911,electrical-switch+&+relay,oil+pressure+sender+/+switch,4588

EDIT: you can also apply the 5% discount code 198770038124171508 good until May 1, 2022.  Type the code in the "How Did You Hear About Us?" box during the purchase process.   Everyone is eligible to use the code.

Also, the oil pressure sender sensor is different for the '91 Reatta and the '91-'93 Riviera...L27 3800 V6.

Edited by ship
  • Thanks 1

88-90 uses a 40 psi center sender. 91 uses a 60 psi. Otherwise the same.

• Confused 1

Standard Motor Products brand would be my choice if Delphi or ACDelco aren't available.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Thanks Padgett - I copied the TSB for my records.

However, in the over 25+ years I've had my '89, I never had to replace the oil pressure sending unit. Must admit that I check the gages somewhat infrequently since I usually have the CRT in Summary or Climate Mode.

1 hour ago, Ron Walker said:

I never had to replace the oil pressure sending unit. Must admit that I check the gages somewhat infrequently since I usually have the CRT in Summary or Climate Mode.

It will let you know if it's going bad without looking at the gages. Usually the first thing you will notice when the sending unit going bad is an intermittent electrical error message pops up and quickly disappears. If you happen to have the CRT in Gages mode you will see a really high spike in the oil pressure when the error message appears if your watching for it. If the spike in pressure is present for a certain amount of time a code B132 will be set in diagnostics. Otherwise no code is set. That can make it hard for new Reatta owners to figure out what is causing the intermittent error message. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Ronnie. Copied your comments and added with the TSB for my records. 

• Like 1

Tunerpro RT (Moates.net) allows both ALDL monitoring on a tablet and logging.

gtpdash24may.jpg.e586ddf0c08e448821d531ed346f0b53.jpg