Replacing a leaking steering rack on an '89 coupe

fun car guy

Has anyone done this on their Reatta?  My ex-mechanic said he would have to unfasten all the engine mounts and lift it to do the job.

That's not needed, however it is not for the faint of heart. It comes out the driver's side. Remember you need a "three port".

• Like 1

The Reatta calls for three connections to the rack. You need all three. The catalogue offers two port as well and that wouldn't work. 

Dave is right. In the photo below a black arrow is pointing at the third port where the steering rack pressure switch screws in. The other rack on the bottom looks similar but the port where the pressure switch screws in is not drilled and tapped for the switch.

2 - 3 port steering rack comparison.jpg

power_steering_switch_location3.jpg

Thanks to whoever supplied the photos.

Thanks for the clarification.  Right now mine isn't leaking since I used stop leak but I know eventually it will need to be done.  I had this mechanic do a safety check which it passed but the leaking steering rack was one of my ex-mechanics reasons why He thought I should bail and find a better example but frankly, I just don't think he wanted the work.  Sure, it needs some TLC but the body is straight and virtually rust free, the interior in very good condition so I'm doing the work myself as it also makes for a good father/son project.   Unlike many, I'm not just fixing it up to flip but to enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

That's not needed, however it is not for the faint of heart. It comes out the driver's side. Remember you need a "three port".

and what do you mean about the faint of heart? I would think it just takes patience.

It looks like you are up for the task. Why don't you do it and then can report back about what you think.

• 4 weeks later...

LOL, thanks for your words of support, Dave.  Right now I've treated the problem with stop leak since my priority is overhauling the brakes this year.  Then I can finally get to enjoy my Reatta for a while before replacing the rack.