exterior lights 88 reatta

westco77

in need of a schematic for exterior lights. i have no brake lights and turn signals. already checked bulbs and fuses thinking multifunction switch could be the culprit. just cant seem to find a wiring diagram to trace the circut. 

Welcome to the forum. The Reatta service manual doesn't have complete diagrams like the manual for some cars. It is broken down into sections. I'll see if I can find a schematic for the brake lights and we can go from there.

Do the high level stop lights in the back window work when you apply the brakes? It should work even when the key is turned off.

i get no lights when i apply the brakes.  and turn signals flash once and beep but only on the dash not on the exterior. like there is no power to that circuit.  im not currently working on it just gathering some info. ive seen something about a turn signal module wondering is that also controls the brake lights. thanks for the help so far. 

The reason I asked about the high stop light is because it is a simple circuit that bypasses the turn signal control module to turn them on and they use a different ground point. All the other power to the brake lights branches off that circuit. Since the high stop light is not working it seems to me like the fuse that powers them, or the associate wiring is bad. I believe it should be fuse #6. I would test both for 12 volts coming to that fuse and coming out of it to be sure the brake lights are getting power. Next I would inspect the brake light switch to make sure power is getting through it when you press the brake pedal. If you get the high stop lights working the other lights will probably work to. The schematic below is for the '89 model but I think it is the same as the '88.

high stop light circuit.jpg

• Like 1

awesome ! thank you. i will try to check on these things hopefully this week. i will keep you informed on my findings. 

• Like 1

had a little time today to look things over today. tested for power at brake switch and found 12v so i proceeded to load the circut with a lightbulb and it didnt work. but i had 12v. so problem was amps so i decided to go to the fuses and pulled the one that had power with key off. found fusebox melted behind the fuse. making bad connection. added 12v to the other side with my powerprobe and i had lights.  great more repairnow

• Like 2