No Crank, Dash goes black when key is turned

Mlanes88

I hope somebody's willing to help me if I reopen this thread this is Mason with my 88 having the same issues not so much shutting off when a vehicle is hot but turn the key and ignition everything lights up and then go to hit the start and the entire dash and everything blacks out I've already replaced the battery the starter Nicole pack the neutral safety switch the ignition switch the ignition key tumbler numerous center are not sensors but relays can somebody please help me give me something if there's something to give I hear no clicks no nothing just all the lights go black and until I turn the key back off and turn it back on the lights come back on again but as soon as I hit the start mode it blacks out crowd for help again I'll try not to make too long a sentence this time

• 3 weeks later...

Replaced, neural safety switch,coil pack,battery,starter ignition switch,key tumbler 

Then I realized that there was an aftermarket alarm that was removed and  then this problem started.    Coincidence I don't know but the three wires that go to the driver side locks are still poking out through the carpet even though the door lock still work electric and key another blank here I don't know what to do if anybody can help

On 11/29/2021 at 1:32 AM, Mlanes88 said:

...turn the key and ignition everything lights up and then go to hit the start and the entire dash and everything blacks out

Does it do this all the time or just randomly? Turn on the headlights and try to start the car. Do the headlights go dim or completely off at the same time the dash goes black?

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, finally got back to my 88 silver bullet 

Tried the turn the lights thing and they don't dim or flicker and things are the same turn the key and nothing everything goes black no clicks just black

Steering column start switch ?

East coast Reatta,sent me one back at the start of fall 

I'm bless it's a bad one

I tried to make this a stand alone topic. Seems like a couple of posts might have got lost in the process. Sorry.

I think you will have to go through the yellow highlighted circuit below step by step to find why power isn't getting to the starter. I would start by checking the yellow wire going into the transaxle position switch to see if has power when the key is turned to the start position. If is does not the problem is with the ignition switch or the starter interrupt relay not being picked up. 

starter_circuit.jpg

BTW, Don't worry about the dash lights and interior lights going out as being part of the problem. That is normal on my car when the key is turned to start... even if the gear selector isn't in Park or Neutral.

Triage is good. First run a jumper straight to the solenoid and see if anything happens. Then  trace forward (nothing happens) or back (if starter responds) until you gat a change..

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sounds like a engine grounding issue. try cleaning the ground cables even the body ground cables