Question about car sitting in winter

fun car guy

A question, I've never had a car just sitting in winter.  Should I start it up and let it warm up or just leave it alone until spring?

I just fill my car with gas and park it for the winter [or in the case of my winter Reatta, for the summer]. I don't fire it up, but I do disconnect the battery. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Thanks Dave.  I filled the tank but instead of disconnecting the battery, I have it on a trickle charger,

• Agree 2

When filling the gas tank, I also add a stabilizer.  I run it for 5 minutes or so to get the stabilizer up to the injectors.  Then I do not run the car until Spring. I too put on a battery trickle charger.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Running any engine at idle is worse than leaving it alone. The moisture created during combustion does not vaporize, and so condenses on relatively cool surfaces, until the engine reaches full operating temperature, something that doesn’t happen unless driven for 15 minutes or so.

• Agree 2

I was told by the air conditioning tech that I should run it  once a month during the winter with the a/c on for about 20 or 25 mins to keep the seals good.

• Agree 1

Thanks guys!  I thought I had heard much the same from guys who live in this zone and have to store their cars, I just wanted to be sure.  Sadly, not all of us live in a milder climate.

My climate is such that my "sunshine" cars (four including the Reatta) sit garaged for about 6 months out of the year, though I do use the Reatta sparingly over the winter.  I use a combination of what I read above - full tank of gas with stabilizer - battery maintainer - start the car periodically and let it run for 15+ minutes with the A/C on - car cover - and over inflate the tires by 15+/- psi to help avoid flat spots on the tires. 

• Agree 1