service engine light bcm or what

Mckays Reatta

hi i have a 1990 reatta and the service engine light is on at first it was turning on and off several times while driving now it is solid i've never been able to check codes ever since i got the car when i press the off and fan up it flashes like its going into diagnostics but then returns to normal also the trip meter has quit working it stil counts the miles bet every time i reset it it resets but will not count miles so when i shut the car of and turn it back on it returns back to the miles it was previously counting so ever since the ses light ive noticed a little bit of an odd idle so i replaced idle air control valve and that fixed the idle issue but before that i replaced camshaft sensor because i was told it had a code in history for the cam sensor when i took it in to get the codes checked and every time they try to pull codes it has no current codes but had the code in history for cam sensor so when i replaced that i had them erase the code for that and the cam magnet is fine every time i replace something the ses light turns off for a second and the comes back on. so is it the bcm causing the ses light if not then what is it also i am looking to sell the car id like to get at least $3000 but am selling for $4000 as of now. It has  76,200 miles i will post pictures of the car later price is negotiable thank you

Fan up and down move you around within any category but as stated above, diagnostics is entered with OFF and Temp UP. 

Right at the top of this page is the title Diagnostics. Go there and all the information about the onboard systems is available. You can clear your own codes too.

No disrespect intended, but I was totally out of breath after reading Mckays topic.:classic_blink: 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Mckays Reatta said:

hi i have a 1990 reatta and the service engine light is on at first it was turning on and off several times while driving now it is solid i've never been able to check codes ever since i got the car when i press the off and fan up it flashes like its going into diagnostics but then returns to normal also the trip meter has quit working it stil counts the miles bet every time i reset it it resets but will not count miles so when i shut the car of and turn it back on it returns back to the miles it was previously counting so ever since the ses light ive noticed a little bit of an odd idle so i replaced idle air control valve and that fixed the idle issue but before that i replaced camshaft sensor because i was told it had a code in history for the cam sensor when i took it in to get the codes checked and every time they try to pull codes it has no current codes but had the code in history for cam sensor so when i replaced that i had them erase the code for that and the cam magnet is fine every time i replace something the ses light turns off for a second and the comes back on. so is it the bcm causing the ses light if not then what is it also i am looking to sell the car id like to get at least $3000 but am selling for $4000 as of now. It has  76,200 miles i will post pictures of the car later price is negotiable thank you

Canyoutakemorethenaminuteandlistyourissuesinorderandusepunctuationitisreallyhardtoreadwhatyouwritemuchlessunderstandwhatyouaretryingtosayifyoudontcaretobeconcisethenweshouldntcaretorespond 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 3

sorry, I meant to say off and Temp up. So the issues began when the trip meter quite working, when I reset it, it goes to zero but dose not count the miles. And when i shut the car off it returns back to the original miles it was previously counting but no check engine. About nine months later the service engine light started flashing on and off while driving so it would be on for a few minutes then it would turn off for a few minutes etc. so i Replaced the cam sensor because mechanic told me to. after i did that service engine light turned off for a second then came back on. So i later took it back to the mechanic to clear the one and only code in history because diagnostics dose not work, and I am following the tutorial on this web site. so later on it was idiling rough so i thought well i'll have to replace idle air control valve so I did that and it fixed that problem but still have a check engine light.

1: no diagnostics

2: trip meter quit working

3 :service engine light flashes

4: service engine light solid (after replacing cam shaft sensor)

5:rough idle

Not answers, but questions:

Is the cover on the ALDL port below and to the left of the steering column?

Does the climate control work as it should, ie, does the temperature up and down work as commanded? Very common in the Climate Control for the buttons contacts to need a cleaning. 

• Agree 1

yes the cover is on the port and the climate control dose work just no diagnostics

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mckays Reatta said:

yes the cover is on the port and the climate control dose work just no diagnostics

Items 1 through 4 do involve the BCM in some way, #5 is an unknown, especially without diagnostics to help. I don't have any great insight right now but I would suggest you start with checking the harness plugs on the BCM, which lays horizontally forward of the glove box. Unplug and examine each on for anything obvious but mostly, just spray with a contact cleaner and plug and unplug a couple times just in case there may be a marginal connection. Many of the system sensors and connections run on five volts which needs a clean connection. Good idea to disconnect the battery ground before doing so, just in case. Also a good time to check the isolated grounds behind the battery and the two connections on the engine itself.

Does the 1990 have a Power Control module? If so that could be the problem. Also while you replaced the cam sensor it might be the magnet on the cam shaft that could be why the SES light is on all the time. That would be code 041. Also you cleaned the Idle air control, did you also clean inside the opening it is mounted into? What about the Mass Air Flow sensor? Has that been cleaned? Also the butterfly in the intake housing should be cleaned.

21 hours ago, Mckays Reatta said:

So i later took it back to the mechanic to clear the one and only code in history because diagnostics dose not work,

Try disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few minutes and then reconnect. Sometimes that will clear all codes that using onboard diagnostics or a scanner to clear codes will not.

FYI the Reatta has a Engine Conrtol Module. The PCM includes control for the electronic transmission and came to some Buicks  in 1991