Original Exhaust

SteelGun23

I’m new to the group but I own 2 Reattas. I have a 1989 model I’m restoring to original condition. Does anyone know or have any photos of what the original exhaust looked like under the car? I don’t think the one I have under it is original. 

I don't have any photos but the '89 and '90 should be the identical 2.25" diameter system. The entire exhaust is one piece and welded, including the catalytic converter and muffler. Single inlet muffler at the rear, (pass side inlet), with twin pipes exiting the muffler on the drivers end. The exhaust tips were painted flat black. I believe the muffler was painted flat black as well, but not certain.  In '91 the system was increased to 2.5" diameter.

7E469D61-8D79-4D4F-A273-A1C126E955D3.thumb.jpeg.64231d4775fa021be801e483f59b6a0e.jpegC3A13B9B-F82C-4F10-A7F3-964C04247FB6.thumb.jpeg.a7f150c6e884a35a8f7f4687988540d1.jpegObviously not a photo from under the car but this may give some clues. I don’t believe a factory reproduction system is being made.

• Like 3

If you remove the whole exhaust system grind out the restriction that is in the manifold where the pipe bolts up if it has excess material left over from casting.

88 header_restriction.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Ronnie said:

If you remove the whole exhaust system grind out the restriction that is in the manifold where the pipe bolts up if it has excess material left over from casting.

88 header_restriction.jpg

Wow. Had no idea

• Like 1

Thank you guys so much for the information. Especially the image of what it really should look like. I’ll get with a custom exhaust place and see if they can build that for me. 

• Like 1

Actually that is a lot of restriction from poor machining. I dremeled out as much as I could.

Edited by Padgett

3 hours ago, Philbo said:

Wow. Had no idea

Within the basic design of the manifold, this is what it can look like. I believe this is one I did with a hole saw, 2 1/16" I think, because the lower end of the O2 boss has been removed as well. The correct size is self guiding inside the tailpipe stub. Anything better requires cutting and welding.

Rear manifold restriction removed.jpg

• Like 1

When I replaced the engine in the Red I took the like new manifolds I acquired over to my machinist friend Bob who cleaned up the exhaust manifolds at both the engine and at the pipe. As Padgett said there is a lot of restriction that can be ground out.

• 2 months later...

I have a question pertaining to the exhaust, I'm a newbie guys, so if it has been asked before please over look, on the menu board of the reatta owner's journal, you can find an alternate way of installing an exhaust, camero and firebird I believe, my question is is there a clear advantage to installing this way?

It's just the muffler that is changed. The exhaust system itself is specific to the Reatta and all are 2.25" except the 1991 which is 2.5" piping. Changing the muffler alone has little performance advantage, but it will sound and look different if that is what you like.