Low oil light

gtjr49

Having an issue with my low oil light. Have replaced both sensors, when starting cold low oil light comes on. If I shut off the engine and restart it goes off. It does not come on throughout the day unless the engine gets cold. My main question is can I wire the system so that the low oil lite does not come on? I am at a loss as to how to fix or circumvent this warning indicator, has anyone had a similar issue? Forgot to mention it is a 1990 convertible.

George Toth

Edited by gtjr49
Left out model

2 hours ago, gtjr49 said:

Having an issue with my low oil light. Have replaced both sensors, when starting cold low oil light comes on. If I shut off the engine and restart it goes off. It does not come on throughout the day unless the engine gets cold. My main question is can I wire the system so that the low oil lite does not come on? I am at a loss as to how to fix or circumvent this warning indicator, has anyone had a similar issue? Forgot to mention it is a 1990 convertible.

George Toth

Welcome to the forum George!

If the low oil level sensor in the oil pan is causing your problem it can be disabled (bypassed) by just disconnecting the electrical connector and grounding it. That sensor is nothing but a float switch that opens when the oil level in the pan drops too low on a 1990 model. (see photo below)

IF the problem is caused by low oil pressure sensor I wouldn't bypass it. I would figure out what is causing the problem. We can help you with that.

Oil level sensor-1990.jpg

• Like 1

no the oil level is not low. it just comes on cold, I am sure it is a common problem. I am going to try the way to bypass it that Ronnie suggested. sounds like to correct it I need to pull the pan and it is not worth the hassle. In all my years in our Buick dealership I have not seen the 3800 having a tendency to use oil or leak to a point where the sensor should go off. I will get to it after the first of the year, thanks for your comment.

George

34 minutes ago, gtjr49 said:

sounds like to correct it I need to pull the pan and it is not worth the hassle.

You can try what I said first but no need to pull the pan to install. It just screws out of the pan. Drain the oil first and be sure you get it indexed correctly when you install it. I thought you had already replaced the sensor?

oil_level_sensor.jpg

Just two notes.

First. This sensor is used on many many vehicles. If you wanted an OEM part it would be really easy to get one from a junkyard. My '98 park Avenue has the same exact part as the reatta as far as I can tell.

2nd, the new parts do not come with the sealing gasket. I have had bad luck with tleaking at the sensor. I finally figured out to look for a large enough gasket for a drain plug. You can find one large ebough with other drain plug gaskets at your local auto parts store. Not sure why it took me so long to think of that, hut I am finally leak free on mine :)