CAMSHAFT SENSOR

89 MAUI

A mechanic was trying to find out why my engine would not start running and he found my camshaft sensor was cracked and he replaced it.  I let him know that the problem is the crankcase sensor and he replaced it and the engine started running.  

That was 2 months ago and yesterday I got a notice on the screen that E041 was in fault which is the camshaft sensor.  I tried to reset the error but it will not clear.  It occurred when I depressed the accelerator to downshift from 3rd to 2nd gear and the error popped up.

On Monday I will go back to the mechanic and have him check it out but any ideas why it would be faulty.  The engine is running fine even though the E041 error

Woody the problem could be the magnet in the camshaft gear is bad or has fell out. That is usually what causes a code E041. Padgett has a relatively easy fix that can be found in the "Common Problems" menu at the top of the page.

Also if you pull the cam sensor you can use a mirror to see if the magnet is missing. Pictures are in my fix.