Value my '88 coupe

RonH

33,800 miles on "near perfect" red coupe.  It's been listed on Auto Trader Classic since Sept 10th.  

1,049 views          82 details read       1 email response, 4 phone calls (2 spam)     One local guy looked at it (Craigslist ad), but he was too tall.

At $10,800, not getting action.  Someone will buy it at some price, but it's obvious I'm asking too much.... or the right person hasn't seen it.

Should I price it at $9,800?  Is it only worth $8,800?  I'm not desperate!  I just want to be realistic.  

Any comments would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Ron

IMG_5859.JPG

IMG_E5857.JPG

IMG_5865.JPG

I wouldn't try to put a price  on your car. Especially without seeing it. From my experience if a car doesn't sell it is overpriced for the condition or hasn't been advertised correctly. If you want top dollar for your car I think you should advertise with Hemmings and include a well thought out and honest description with lots of good photos.

I looked up what Hagerty Insurance's Valuation Tool had to say about a 1988 Reatta. Hagerty has to deal with real world prices everyday so I think they are a good place to start. I actually think their values are a little high for today's market but this should be a good starting point for determining how much your car is worth.

They don't ask the mileage when giving a value but I think they probably take into consideration what the average mileage would be on a car that would fit into each category. You will have to decide where your car fits into Hagerty's categories but I doubt many Reattas would be a number 1 car.

I've not saw your car but by going on your description I think it would be a number 2 (Excellent) car. Weather or not it should be priced more or less than Hagerty's value would be for you to decide based on what you know about your car's condition. Be honest with yourself and look at your car as if you were buying it instead of selling it when you are determining how your car should be priced compared to Hagerty's value.

Ultimately the buyer will be who determines how much money your car will actually bring when you negotiate a price and accept his offer.

Hagerty Valuation Tool-1.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hagerty Valuation Tool-2.png

---------------------------------------------------------

Hagerty Valuation Tool-3.png

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hagerty Valuation Tool-4.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Pictures are nice but do not tell much. None of the engine, interior, trunk space or more important to me, the undercarriage (have sold cars before on pictures of the underside. Looks like a nice cut & buff job but no mention of miles, defects (is ABS light on, cold AC, idle oil pressure, Carfax ?). Any time you ask more than a #3 price, you need to back it up.

• Agree 1

Thank you Ronnie and Padgett for your input.  I talked to Marck at East Coast Reattas and he also (and strongly) recommended Hemmings and gave me tips on photos that might look better.  Regarding photos, he prefers taking photos at dusk, or on a bright, but cloudy day.  He feels direct sun is too bright and shadows are too dark.  I live near Seattle, so cloudy days are in abundance.  He suggested price at $9,995.  I'll likely offer it at less than that.  Ad should be up and running in the next week.  I'll keep you posted on results.

• Like 3