Refinishing the wheels on a '89 coupe

fun car guy

As us normal, my rims are somewhat corroded on the edges but good otherwise, what's the best method of refinishing them (I.E. stripping the coating without damaging the brush finish) and are they aluminum or some other metal?

The rims are aluminum.  The best way to refinish them in my opinion is to use a professional service.  They will strip them, repair any damage, paint and clear powder coat them.  The face of the wheels on the Reatta appear to be machined aluminum, the pockets are dark gray paint.  May lose the subtle machine marks in the process.

Edited by alchemist
  • Like 1

Are you saying they would polish them?  I don't want them shiny, I want to retail the original brush finish.

On 10/9/2021 at 6:28 PM, fun car guy said:

Are you saying they would polish them?  I don't want them shiny, I want to retail the original brush finish.

That brushing is so subtle, I would be worried of the outcome if not specified.  Talk to your local body shop, they can probably recommend someone.

I would think there must be some perfect O.E. wheels out there? A lot of them have been removed and replaced with something else and maybe the stockers were saved in the attic? The cost to refinish from the few stories I have seen are generally in the hundreds of dollars so those dollars might be spent on actual replacements? Of course shipping for something large and heavy like that sort of discourages unless close at hand.

• Agree 1

Thank you, sir!  I'm currently working on the brakes, then an oil change and she'll be put away for the winter.