Tail light restoration?

CameraGuyLou

I recently purchased a 3M Ultra Headlight restoration kit from Amazon to restore the tail light.  Is this advisable or is there another method to do it?

Thanks in advance!

I used a similar method on mine. It was the turtle wax kit. Not going to lie mine are kind of foggy again already :/.  Was going to try the 3M kit to see if it is any better.  I don't see how it can do any harm though given that they are already foggy.

20 minutes ago, CameraGuyLou said:

I recently purchased a 3M Ultra Headlight restoration kit from Amazon to restore the tail light.  Is this advisable or is there another method to do it?

Thanks in advance!

I used the 3M kit around six years ago.  But, the tail lights are getting foggy again.  Time to redo.

I followed the preparation instructions for doing the lights but used an exterior spar varnish. Came out beautiful and needs no additional care and no fog...

There might be a write up somewhere or maybe Ronnie can bring it back from "over there".

I think Dave89 has a better way to do it than I used.  My tail light was dirty inside because of a small leak and didn't look too good. Instead of taking it apart and taking a chance of breaking it, I decide to try VHT Nite Shades to tint it to hide the imperfections. I think it turned out really well although I did get it a little darker than I intended. Still I'm very happy with the results.  Below is a before and after photos of how it looks.

Before:

reatta_wheels5-2.jpg

After:

SAM_3167.JPG

•  
  •  
  • Like 1

Here is how Dave did his taillight. My way is basically the same except I didn't use varnish.

----------------------------------------------------

Dave wrote:

I taped off the letters [glad it is "Buick" and not "Chevrolet" or "Oldsmobile"] and the bottom reflectors, scuffed sanded with 1000 then 2000 wet/dry sandpaper and put one coat of Flecto Exterior Gloss Spar varnish. Tomorrow morning before heading out for appointments I will put on another coat, then when I get back, put on a third and final coat. Then Friday reinstall the taillight and should be good to go.

It already looks good. 3 coats should give me excellent durability and the gloss sheen means no more after market products to improve the lustre.

taillight-1-6-7-16.JPG

taillight-2-6-7-16.JPG

If you remove the taillight assembly don't forget to remove the license plate first. If you leave it on you are almost certain to break the red reflectors on the bottom of the taillight. Also, after removing the thumbscrew nuts inside the trunk that hold it on pull straight back to prevent breaking the studs as you remove it. Go back in with the assembly the same way and don't over-tighten the nuts. Everytihng is brittle and will break easy. Below are some photos that you might find helpful.

taillight (6).JPG

taillight (7).JPG

taillight (8).JPG

taillight (9).JPG

taillight (13).JPG

• Like 1

I don't know if anyone has overcome the flasher problem with LEDs in the early model Reattas. Later models would probably be easier since they use a more normal can type flasher.

• Agree 1

In other taillight refinishings I did not remove the taillight and just taped it off. Application of the varnish was just a foam brush. 

Hmmm, sounds like a lot of work and risk removing the tail lights.  I used Mequar's on mine but it didn't las at all.  Varnish sounds like  better idea.

It's a great idea but be sure you do the prep work as listed in a previous post...

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Like "fun car guy," I just wax mine with whatever I use on the paint. Looks good for awhile, fades off, and re-wax next time I wax the car. I do the same with the wheel centers. Simple and easy.  

• 1 year later...

I’m looking in to doing this myself, however I had my tailight polished by a detailer a year ago. 

I don’t think he did the same steps as you guys here, but his opinion was that the plastic taillight shell was also oxidized/damaged on the inside. 

How likely is that? Can it be oxidized on the inside? If it is, I imagine it can’t really be restored then?