Photocell

Kevindjac

So I am curious if the instrument panel button and switches light up during "the light show" but not when driving the car night would it still be a bad photocell?

I already tried that, made no  difference on covering the top of the dash thought it might be the inverters however they still light up when you lift up on door handle. So if anyone else has any ideas let me know!

I agree. If it lights up during "The Show" but not during normal driving it is the photo cell. The "Show" tells you the inverters work. Make sure you make the tool needed to get into the top of the dash or you will break the dash up.

• Like 2

I already tried that, made no  difference on covering the top of the dash thought it might be the inverters however they still light up when you lift up on door handle. So if anyone else has any ideas let me know! What about pulling the speedometer panel out @DAVES89? I haven't heard of a tool you have to make,among articles reading about the photocell.

10 hours ago, Kevindjac said:

I already tried that, made no  difference on covering the top of the dash thought it might be the inverters however they still light up when you lift up on door handle. So if anyone else has any ideas let me know! What about pulling the speedometer panel out @DAVES89? I haven't heard of a tool you have to make,among articles reading about the photocell.

Can't get to the photocell any other way then through the top. If you do go through the top using the tool you won't damage the dash, but you may break a tab or two on the pad that holds the pad into the dash because after all the plastic is over 30 years old. Just go slow and be careful. The grill and pad are still readily available while the dash is the hardest to replace. Jim Finn or Marck [at East Coast Reatta] has those parts but a dash is way more expensive and time consuming to replace.

And while you are in the top of the dash remove the inverter located right about the vin tag is and push it down through the dash towards the bottom. If the inverter ever goes out you will be able to then get at it from the bottom of the dash without going through the top of the dash pad again. 

• Like 1