Thermostat gasket & Outlet O-Ring???

Ohio1977

To all of the Reatta Masters out there,

What website/company do you know of, that has the Thermostat gasket and big O-Ring that goes around the circular portion that fits into the throttle body?  I've checked the forums and couldn't find anything to help me out.  Let me know how I might be searching incorrectly as well.  Oh, 1989 Reatta, in Columbus, Ohio, if that matters. Thermostat #1 is the gasket and #2 is the O-Ring, at the pen tip.  both part #'s are  discontinued via Chevy dealership, is 12337901= #1 and 25535941 = #2.  Thanks for any help.

Jay 

Thermostat #1.jpg

Thermostat #2.jpg

I just did this recently on my Reatta. I do not remember what size it was exactly but I was able to find something that was a close fit at the local auto parts store.  They usually have a kit with different sizes that you can buy single O-rings from or there are also multiple assortments you can get in the "Help" aisle.  I will rifle through my stuff and see if I can find the sizes I used.  I was able to find a size for both the one you show and the one that seals around the thermostat itself.

Also for the record, as much as I love these old 3800 buick engines, this has to be the most asinine design for a thermostat housing I have encountered imho(no offense).

• Like 1

The good news is that the inside one does not seal anything. It just keeps the thermostat from rattling.

BTW if the surfaces are clean, that design works very well in a near impossible place. The O'ring does the sealing, all the bolt does is to keep it in place & does not need to be very tight.

Edited by Padgett
  • Like 1

Sorry didn't see the top picture.  Yes I used a round o ring for that one too. I had just found one that fit snugly around the thermostat that was not too thick to fit nicely into the bevel on the thermostat housing lip.  I'm not sure the original wasn't round at some point and just get deformed over time.  I have no idea.