Unique and interesting wheels on Brock's Reatta

Ronnie

Note: This topic was split off from the Member Introductions Topic.

On 9/20/2021 at 7:33 PM, Brock said:

This is my ride. It's nothing crazy special, but I have big plans. "the old grey mare"  is an 89 with 215k on the clock and she runs like a top! I do 150 miles daily in it and just really enjoy it. the wheels and headlights are the only things departed from stock....

Good looking Reatta Brock. Those are interesting wheels. I don't think I have saw wheels like them before.

(Brock's Reatta)

20210920_192127.jpg

12 hours ago, 2seater said:

Looks good to me too. The wheels are sorta OE style and yet not. Very interesting. 

Thank you. Exactly what I was going for. I struggled for literal months to find a set of wheels that I liked that would fit well. I took a break at work (I have a flooring store), went outside and saw a customer's car with these as stock wheels. Bolt pattern, backspacing, size... it was all perfectly what I was looking for. Just don't tell anyone they come off a first gen Saturn Vue! 

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

They look tall. What diameter are the wheels?

17s. 235/70-17s. not a whisper of rub and zero modification to fit them.

1 hour ago, Brock said:

17s. 235/70-17s. not a whisper of rub and zero modification to fit them.

Not disbelieving but I wouldn't have thought a wheel/tire combination almost a full four inches taller than stock would fit unless there is a large offset to clear the spring perch up front.

Agree, something is going on. a 235x70R17 is 30" tall and this photo is of a 225x60R16, 26.6" tall. Note the clearance on the top spring perch. I'd like to know what was cone to clear the spring perch. 235x50R17 maybe ?

tirecleartop.jpg.1dd0ae6668b5f67508dc569b9ea3a2d8.jpg

Edited by Padgett

2 hours ago, Padgett said:

Agree, something is going on. a 235x70R17 is 30" tall and this photo is of a 225x60R16, 26.6" tall. Note the clearance on the top spring perch. I'd like to know what was cone to clear the spring perch. 235x50R17 maybe ?

tirecleartop.jpg.1dd0ae6668b5f67508dc569b9ea3a2d8.jpg

Yeah one thing to keep in mind is that a dimensional box (i.e. 225/60R16) has a range both for the section width (225) and the section height (225 × 0.6 = 135). So not all tires of the same designation are exactly the same size. As a matter of fact there is even some overlap of boxes to where it is actually theoretically possible for say a 215 and a 225 to be the same width and still be in the window. Lastly the Section Width is based on the widest point of the tire (often in the sidewall). So within a section width, the actual tread width can vary depending on the tire.  Of course these windows are fairly small to where if you stick with the OE size, you will be ok. Vehicle manufacturers take the extremities of the windows into account.

Long story short, when you are cutting things close with non OE size configurations, do not assume that a 235/60R17 from one tireline (even within the same manufacturer) will be exactly the same size as a 235/60R17 of a different tireline.

Also these standards are published by the Tire and Rim association (TRA) for the US and European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation (ETRTO) for Europe.  Typically tires are made to follow both standards regardless.

18 hours ago, 2seater said:

Not disbelieving but I wouldn't have thought a wheel/tire combination almost a full four inches taller than stock would fit unless there is a large offset to clear the spring perch up front.

You are correct. I either misread or mistyped. 235/50-17

tires.jpg

The standards are fine but I just use this link and tirerack.com. Anymore I just buy BFGs (usually Comp 2 A/S) or Michelin or Continental (DWS06). Know 225x60R16 or 235x50R17 will fit my GM FWD cars.

BTW always felt the 15x6 stock rims had to be beancounters at work. Even my Fieros had 15x7s and the family 90 Bonneville had 16x7s. Reattas deserve "more".

Edited by Padgett
  • Like 1

My 225/60-16's are close to the spring. The tires will rub a little on the inner fender-well at full lock when I turn left. Not a problem.

2 hours ago, Brock said:

You are correct. I either misread or mistyped. 235/50-17

tires.jpg

Thanks, I thought maybe there was some magic I was unaware of🙂 That size makes perfect sense. I thought there might be a possibility your new suspension might be a coilover strut type I have seen others consider. 

Is about 1/4" clearance between a new (11/32) 225x60R16 but the connection between the wheel/axle and the spring perch is solid - no relative movement. Seems to be the same on all E and V FWD bodies.

I tried some 235/60-17s (I think that's what they were) off a later model Mustang on my Reatta a few years ago. They were very close to the spring perch but didn't rub it. They did rub the inner finder pretty bad when the wheel was turned all the way. They were just too big but I thought they looked good.

2007 mustang wheel-2.jpg

2007 mustang wheel-3.jpg

Don't think so, a 235x60R17 is 28" tall and suspect even 27" is too much. I have some 235x60R17 BFGs but are on 5x120 for CTS. Can Line up and check though. RSN.

1 hour ago, Padgett said:

Don't think so, a 235x60R17 is 28" tall and suspect even 27" is too much. I have some 235x60R17 BFGs but are on 5x120 for CTS. Can Line up and check though. RSN.

You are right. I went back and checked my records. They were 2007 235/55-17 Mustang GT wheels. They would bolt up but the way the center cap was made it would not go on all the way due to them being for a rear wheel drive car. Not designed to have the axle sticking out like the FWD has. The 2000-2004 16" Mustang GT wheels did work even though the bolt pattern wasn't exactly correct. I ran those for a long time before getting my chrome wheels.

post-52331-143138312286_thumb.jpg

GM is 5x115, F*rd is 5x114.3 (4.5") They will bolt up but may not balance properly since the hub is larger and GM wheels are hub centric. Some are good looking though.

On 9/20/2021 at 9:54 PM, 2seater said:

Looks good to me too. The wheels are sorta OE style and yet not. Very interesting. 

Just looks like the original wheels but with the centers missing to me!

But I do agree that the original wheels are a bit too small.  Still, I like my car as original stock as possible.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1