ELECTRICAL NIGHTMARES/FUSE BOX ISSUES

Crabbnebula

Hello Reattaliens!  I have an 88 red/grey and I sure do love my car but man have I had some bad luck with anything and everything electrical.  Granted it's been sitting in a barn for a decade or 2 but she drives beautifully and sounds pretty healthy after some tune ups.  Had to cut the cat off so it's a straight pipe with magnaflo exhaust and now it hits a bit of a lick so some like it some don't.  Anyway the poltergeist is popping up everywhere for example:

* Installed new headlights which worked for first day now won't turn on or popup

* no interior/exterior light work other than the dash lights which leave some off until u hit a button, like fog lamp, then the buttons illuminate.  

* glove box, trunk, fuel door - none work/open

* can't test anything else since I sent my CRT to be repaired which may be fubar since monitor is dead but computer does work

My questions are:

Does the missing computer add to the electrical issues I have?

I updated fuses with new ones and that's when things went haywire, yup I meant that pun...are there new fuse requirements since 88?  Some I replaced didn't match the diagram.  

I need help badly.  No headlights and motors freak out and start spinning randomly.  No interior lights, fuel door, glove box, trunk access.  Haven't been able to test stereo yet.  I haven't removed seats to check wires yet, that's my next move.  I feel like the fuse box can be replaced, or the connection is bad.  Sometimes things come know randomly and I push the fuse box or a fuse and stuff lights up or something random.  

Please send suggestions I'd welcome any ideas.  Thanks so much

Lee C.

Portland, OR

That's a lot of things to try to diagnose in one topic. I suggest you start a new topic for each problem to avoid confusion.

• Agree 1

Hi @Crabbnebula, you certainly have your work cut out for you.

Mine is a 1990 so I am thinking many of these problems will be different on mine as they did away with the CRT in 1990. However I would suggest you pick up a factory service manual off ebay.  There is one on there right now for about $70 https://www.ebay.com/itm/184451391576?hash=item2af228e058:g:VpgAAOSwhXBfYyhG

I have the service manual for my 1990 and it has a very detailed extensive electrical diagnosis section with a lot of wiring diagrams, test procedures, etc.  

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Crabbnebula said:

No headlights and motors freak out and start spinning randomly.

This problem seems to be the most important. Let's deal with it first. The answer to these two questions will help figure out the problem

1. When you push the button on the headlight switch to turn the lights on, do the headlights start burning even if the doors don't open? You might have to open the hood and check it in the dark to tell.

2. Can you open the headlight doors by turning the manual knob? (see photo)

reatta_headlight_removal_1.jpg

3 hours ago, Crabbnebula said:

I push the fuse box or a fuse and stuff lights up or something random

You know it sounds like stuff is grounding out when it is not supposed to. I wnder if you had a mouse chew some wiring behind the fuse box if it sat in a barn for a while.  Maybe take the fuse box out or take the center console apart to get a look at the wires going into the fuse box.

Or check the wires under the passenger seat. They are crimped and corrode over time especially if exposed to the elements.

" anything else since I sent my CRT" Expected back soon ? If not might look on eBay for an OTC 2000 scan tool with a later GM cartridge and ALDL cable. It can duplicate the CRT diagnostics. If do not have not +1 on a factory service manual, it has extensive wiring diagrams. Look for a "final edition", preliminary does not have much.

Bit more rumination:

- pick up either an 88 or 89 service manual, are very similar

- need status on CRT since need to turn on/control HVAC and Radio. CRT also needs CRTC (CRT Controller) and CPS (central power supply) boxes to work.

- rest sounds like a ground issue, need a voltmeter or test light to determine if 12v or ground is missing. but many small things out is usually a ground issue.

- when battery is removed/restored, the default is max AC. Is it working ?

- spinning headlight motors usually means the linkage is stripped (common problem).

What is the story, does the car have a special meaning to you ? A few pictures would go a long way.

ps Just found this & wonder how good it is. Sounds like a .pdf you download. Has anyone used ?

Edited by Padgett

6 hours ago, Padgett said:

ps Just found this & wonder how good it is. Sounds like a .pdf you download. Has anyone used ?

This is interesting. I split the posts about it off into another topic of it's own.

• Like 1