CD Player Antics

MarkN

My ‘91’s CD player is refusing to load a CD. Trying to insert a CD results in a clicking sound with the mechanism pushing back against my attempt at insertion.

Any thoughts?  Hoping it’s just a dirty photocell or something minor like that.

I’m realizing these are rare items…eBay vendor wants $300 for a supposedly working unit.

Usually a bad rubber belt. Rarely worked when new. I just use bluetooth.

Edited by Padgett

Get yourself one of these: https://www.amazon.com/SmartCharge-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Dedicated/dp/B07GJ7DHMP/ref=sr_1_3?crid=33MZXR484SR8S&dchild=1&keywords=rove+bluetooth+car+adapter&qid=1632021207&sprefix=rove+blue%2Caps%2C178&sr=8-3

I have a slightly older model of it and they work really really well.  The radio signal is very stable.

and yeah I don't know about the Reatta CD player,  but my 1995 suburban has a CD player in it and it never worked well either, even when the truck was pretty new (my dad bought it in 1998 or somewhere thereabout).  CD players were not GM's strongpoint :classic_laugh:

Edit: By the way, it also acts as an MP3 player. You can rip your CDs onto a USB thumb drive and play them right from it.  Although without a screen it's a little cumbersome to navigate.  Memory cards are pretty cheap these days though. You could do an SD to USB adapter and then do multiple SD cards or something.  Swap them out like CDs. 

Edited by Philbo