Windshield Removal Tips?

Posti

Having read a number of times about the high cost and rarity of windshields, I am very tempted to get the good used windshield from a 1988 Reatta that is in a local salvage yard.  Both the rear and front glass is good in the car.  My windshield was replaced some time in the recent past and is excellent, but it just takes a rock on the Interstate to change that.  Has anyone removed one of these windshields?  Is there any specific process recommended?  There was mention of an attached weatherstripping.  My approach would be to remove the interior post trim and headliner, and use a sharp knife to cut the sealant as close to the metal as I can get.

Yes, I am in the same boat. I checked today with Pilmington, they specialize in classic car windshields. They were out of stock and told me to call back in three or four months. Their price $1118.

Glassfinder just got back to me, two new ones left in the US, $2800 delivered! Aaarrggh!

Check out car-parts.com.  It is a central locator for most of the salvage yards in the United States.  You can enter the year, make, model, and part wanted, as well as a location or general area.  I found a Reatta in a local yard that way, and there are a fair number of used Reatta windshields available.  Unfortunately, they do not always update the listings, so there is no guarantee.

I would heavily recommend a professional glass guy to do the removal. It is near impossible to get either the front or rear window out undamaged without having the power knife tool that many professional installers now carry for doing auto glass. Even a good auto glass manual knife will make for an difficult removal job, and the piano wire method is really only good for cutting the bottom edge of the front windshield away. You risk damaging the encapsulation molding around the sides and top of both pieces doing it any other way.

The last three cars I parted out, I had a glass installer remove the good pieces of fixed glass for me. Dave and I tried to remove a rear window from one we parted out at his place a while back now, and all I had was a knife and piano wire. Total waste of time, I could only get cuts part way around due to a seam in the body sheetmetal in the window channel below the roof line and the weird curves and damaged the rubber edging anyway. As to the front windshield, ideally the A pillar trims, dash pad, headliner and side window weatherstripping should also be out for best access to cutting the adhesive without damaging anything. I'm a hard core do it yourself type and so it pains me to have to hire someone to do this kind of work, but trust me it is worth it.

Kevin Dierkes

I'm with Kevin on this one.

My local salvage yard has the proper tool; it's like a SAWZ-ALL with a 5" putty knife-like blade. He had that windshield out in 15 minutes; encapsulation intact. All done from the inside of the car.

Thanks for the advice! I'll check on getting someone to remove the windshield for me. Mine is relatively new, having been replaced by the prior owner.