Odd CRT/Touchscreams

Padgett

Ok so may qualify as a hoarder. Back in the "cash for clunkers" daze I stripped a number of Reattas & always grabbed the O'scope. About a month ago my original lost the raster. Display became about an inch high. Grabbed a spare. No workie. Grabbed another and worked just fine. Once. Never again. Grabbed another (fourth) and this one is working fine for now. So now have three that are not right. Is that about how they are working these days ? 75% mortality ? YWTK.

BTW is there a way to test one on the bench. Do not have (are any around) the special touchscreen tester.

Oddly enough the Kent-Moore J 34914 CRT Tester is plentiful on e-Bay, have one on order. Wonder if it works.

• Like 1

Boy Howdy that was interesting. J-34914 arrived. Needed a new fuse but no big, have many.

So started bringing out my unknown spares.

Turns out what I had loose were 2 Riv - one fail, one flicker and four Reatta - one bad horiz, one bad vert, one works properly occasionally, one no display.

All except the riv passed all tests. Sequence seems to be reset. 9 seconds then green blink, 3 seconds then green blink, 3 seconds then green blink, 17 seconds then green and beeps (sometimes no beep, sometimes two beeps, sometimes three beeps. Anyone know what that means ?) After last gree casn test buttons and touchscream.

Most touch/button portions give beeps. Just have instructions in lid. Before I start searching again does anyone have a schematic for the CRT or know where I can find one ? Been a long time since I worked on a TV.

Might mention I really do not need six, just two good Reatta spares would be nice.

ps anyone know what size fuse it is supposed to have ? For some reason I thought 10A.

Edited by Padgett

4 hours ago, Padgett said:

All except the riv passed all tests. Sequence seems to be reset. 9 seconds then green blink, 3 seconds then green blink, 3 seconds then green blink, 17 seconds then green and beeps (sometimes no beep, sometimes two beeps, sometimes three beeps. Anyone know what that means ?) After last gree casn test buttons and touchscream.

Does the tester actually power up the Touchscreen or does it just give a pass/fail indication with the beeps and lights?

• Padgett changed the title to Odd CRT/Touchscreams

Sorry meant the CRT (88-89). Brane fade. Fixed title.

Yes it does power up the CRT with a test pattern and beeps when buttons are pressed. Figure there must be an instruction booklet that gives the fuse size.

test.jpg.9b67868f53bf502625ac9bccf1fd78f7.jpg

OK now have a good one in car and was able to re-solder one that had a loose red connector and get it beeping so have a spare. That leaves a Whole Bunch of spare parts.

That said once again have to plea for a schematic of the 88-89 touchscreen and/or the actual instruction booklet for the J-34914. Would also like to know what each of the pass/fail sequences mean. Take long enough they must be doing something but right now just have to wait near a minute and if get double beep & lit screen can test the touchscream and buttons.

Only thing I've found in the FSM is at page 8D-40 in the '89, chart C-2 and C-3 but mostly just says "if fails or does not beep, replace CRT". Right.

Hopefully someone will:

- have a CRT schematic

- have a J-34914 instruction book

or

- know what to proper J-tool fuse size is.

Pretty please with sugar.

• Haha 1

I looked at every ad I could find on the internet for a CRT tester and none mentioned a manual coming with it.

Well it seems happy with whatever I put in there. Had a 4A which popped almost immediately. Didn't seem like enough to me, those old CRTs are not very efficient.

Spent another hour or so with the beepomatic and now have one of the Rivs operational so two spares and a pile of parts. One has bad horizontal, another bad vertical so need more information than have now. Am sure it is a super-secret schematic given only to authorized repair centers. All I know for now is it is a Heath-Zenith product. Wonder if the circuit is similar to the CRT in my Heathkit Ignition Analyzer...

I wonder if Eddie Voland could help, not sure if he still repairs these. Maybe he has a Sams photofact # (or something similar) he  can provide to us. He is still in the list of vendors uptop . eddievoland@yahoo.com

Sent Eddie an eMail.  Have a 5A fuse in there now and seems to be happy. Seems odd the size is not marked anywhere I've found, implies a booklet. I do not have.

• Thanks 1