My "new" 1990 Reatta.

Eclectic

I hope we have more threads like this. I enjoy reading them and helping out when I can. I'm sure other members will chime in when you need for help with your project.

Well, I am Michael Johnson, from Boulder Colorado, and I haven't yet taken delivery of my  "new" 1990 Reatta. 

It was a deal I couldn't pass up, just a few days ago.  I have grown enamored with the beautiful shape, the style , uniqueness, and complexity of this car over the past few months.  While I have enjoyed the comfort of literally my dads old Buick Century for the past couple of years, and its ability to gobble up the infinite spaces between our western towns, I wanted something more sporty and a two door.  Previous neat cars have been a 67 Toronado, an Audi Quattro coupe, still enjoying the '76 GMC motorhome, now there is a club that is very active and supportive, with lots of venders and a miraculous black list for emergency help wherever you may break down. A Olds Vista Cruiser with the little top windows, that she rolled in Grand Teton with a trailer on the back @ 25MPH.  I drive an old CR-V in the winter snow. 

I digress, as here, in the local Craigslist, is an hours old Denver ad for a 1990 Reatta for $700, not drivable due to needing a battery and some brake repairs.  I went tearing down there and drove it around the culdesac a couple of times.  Everything works, not a single dent or rust spot, the windows, power locks, skylight and headlights are cranky, Paint is passable, but faded in front under its bra, go figure.  There is no power assist to help stop the car, so its dangerous.  Front windshield badly cracked.  Sale forced by death ov owner. 

I didn't deliberate very long, I bought it, and I have spent the past few days hearing about what a stupid thing that was to do. 

So, What do you guys think?  Did I do the right thing?  I haven't felt a moment of buyers remorse so far...

Are there any women owners on this site?  And one more question...do most of you consider your Reatta to be male, female or other?

Welcome to the forum Michael. Great story about your new Reatta. I've started this new thread for it.

Most of the problems you describe can be fixed but the big problem I see is the badly cracked windshield. New ones usually run about $1800.00 when you can find someone who can install it. Used ones can be had but someone who knows what they are doing has to remove it from the donor car. They can be easily damaged if removed incorrectly.

Other items are fairly routine and can be fixed if you have good troubleshooting skill. Lots of information can be found here that will help you with that.

You probably didn't go wrong at that price. You could probably part it out and get most of your money back if you decided not to fix it up.

Thanks for getting back to me, Ronnie.

Wow I thought the huge GMC motorhome windshield's were expensive, they are $600 each. Where does one look for new and used windshields?

I am going to have the car towed to Boulder in a few days. Then I will check out the brake codes to get an idea on what is happening. I will probably replace the side window and lock operators, looking for a tan drivers door shell.

I am so glad that you have decided not to close down this site. I will try to be active on here and appreciate the help in advance with my new car. Thanks!

Welcome to the club.

A couple of ideas for you regarding your immediate needs. There is a complete Teves Master Cylinder available on E bay. It is in California and is listed as "88-91 Buick Reatta ABS" He wants $150.00 or best offer. I offered $80.00 and he cam back at $100.00. It has a broken part on it but that part is not what you want. What is there is the "Pump and Motor which has the low pressure switch and the accumulator ball attached to it. The pump/motor is easily removed, scrap the main part of the Master Cylinder and you will have all the parts you need. Anyone somewhat mechanical can install the ball or pressure switch which is what you need right now. The pump/motor should be kept for maybe needing later.

You can try two places for used windshieids;

A-1 Auto and Truck Penrose Co. 719-372-6588

They list the front fenders so COULD have a windshield

Fair Auto and Truck Englewood Co. 800-748-2505 Ask for Tony. I dealt with him in the past he's a good guy. They don't list any Reattas but the owner always liked them so he had some laying around. I bought switches and ABS front sensor leads from him.

Good luck

PS regarding the windshield if either yard has one tell them you will meet with a glass installer and he will remove the windshield. The installer can then install it in your car right away as well. The windshield on the Reatta has an "encapsulated" weatherstrip which means it is bonded directly to the windshield. This should not be cut in the removal of the windshield process.

Thanks for getting back to me, Ronnie.  

Wow I thought the huge GMC motorhome windshield's were expensive, they are $600 each.  Where does one look for new and used windshields?

I am going to have the car towed to Boulder in a few days.  Then I will check out the brake codes to get an idea on what is happening. I will probably replace the side window and lock operators, looking for a tan drivers door shell.  

I am so glad that you have decided not to close down this site.  I will try to be active on here and appreciate the help in advance with my new car.   Thanks!

I think the only source for a new windshield is: Pilkington Glass Call toll-free at: 1-800-848-1351.

The hard brake pedal is caused by the pump not building pressure. Several things can cause that such as a bad fuse, brake pump relay, or a bad pump/motor. When you get the car we can help you with troubleshooting it.

If I were you I wouldn't spend any money on other items until you can resolve the issue with the windshield and brakes. You're at the point right now if you can fix it cheaply that's great. If not you can probably part it out and get your money back if need be.  Keep your options open. There might be other problems that you've not found yet.

Welcome Michael, you are in good hands with this forum especially with Ronnie and Dave and others! If you do decide to fix those things I am sure you will enjoy every minute with your new "Girl" - I think most of us consider ours Female.

I don't know if there are any female owners but Ronnie would know for sure. As for doing the right thing I think you did even with the repairs it needs. My wife will give me a bunch of crap about my two Reatta's almost on a daily basis, but it's okay I enjoy them and there is nothing major wrong with them anyways.

Just have fun!

@Daves89 Thanks, I will look for a windshield in Colorado.  I put in an offer for $90 on the brake assembly, I hope the accumulator and switch are good.  It will be good to have some spare parts.  Ill check on windshields this week, I also bought a nearly new coil assembly for $80, ebay. 

@Frogman Thanks for the encouragement. I guess I will wait to find out the gender of my Reatta. Thinking of an electric supercharger...

@Ronnie  I will check out the latest info on new windshields and report back.  Are these windshields glue in as usual?

Year

Part

Model

Description

Part

Grade

Stock#

US

Price

Dealer Info

Dist

mile

Windshield

Buick Reatta

50.00 YOU PULL CRACKED

$Call

R & S Auto Parts USA-OK(Moffett) E-mail 918-875-3770

Windshield

Buick Reatta

2 DR,SCRTS

A

B1241

$50

Star City Auto Parts and Sales USA-MN(Austin) E-mail 1-800-658-7222

Windshield

Buick Reatta

100x75http://wsimgky.car-part.com/2343/2015/13649/1DA709BFDAB4453CB19985332398A4FB001_thumb.jpg[/img]2DR

A

$100

Perk's Auto Parts USA-MI(Plainwell) Request_Quote 1-800-547-7375 Request_Insurance_Quote

LiveChat_space.gif

Windshield

Buick Reatta

3/91,LT WIP SCR R-SIDE

A

5L6562

$85

Gene's Auto Parts-Traverse City USA-MI(Traverse-City) Request_Quote 1-888-228-9373 Request_Insurance_Quote

Windshield

Buick Reatta

A

A0708

$50

Gilbert and Mitchell Auto Parts USA-KY(Louisville) E-mail 502-366-0323 / 800-624-0915

Windshield

Buick Reatta

A

K0314

$Call

Elite Motors, Inc. USA-MI(Detroit) Request_Quote 888-354-8366 / 313-945-5400 Request_Insurance_Quote

LiveChat_space.gif

Windshield

Buick Reatta

NIQ,TINY CHIPS

01J566

$Call

Grassy Auto Parts USA-KY(West-Liberty) Request_Quote 1-800-354-7402 Request_Insurance_Quote

LiveChat_space.gif

Well my car was delivered a couple of days ago, and I haven't had much time to spend with it. First order is to replace the hood lifts, then to address the constant on, even with key off, heater blower. Also the brake pump is not running, and the headlights are down, one flops around. Most things work though, and it starts and drives just fine. I could sure use some advice on the above issues, and some update on the future of this forum. Best regards to All. Michael Johnson, Boulder Colorado, 90 coupe

I am OK with the headlights and brakes so far, but the heater, brrr its winter! Is it that $140 blower control most likely. Is this a junk yard item?

Well my car was delivered a couple of days ago, and I haven't had much time to spend with it.  First order is to replace the hood lifts, then to address the constant on, even with key off, heater blower.  Also the brake pump is not running, and the headlights are down, one flops around.  Most things work though, and it starts and drives just fine.  I could sure use some advice on the above issues, and some update on the future of this forum.  Best regards to All.  Michael Johnson,  Boulder Colorado,  90 coupe

I am OK with the headlights and brakes so far, but the heater, brrr its winter! Is it that $140 blower control most likely.  Is this a junk yard item?

Yes, the blower control module is common to GM cars of the same vintage that had the automatic climate control system.

When you install the new hood support struts follow these instructions: Hood Strut Replacement Instructions  to make sure they are installed correctly.  Installing the m incorrectly can lead to damage the hood.

You should start a new thread for each problem. It's much less confusing that way. :)

I will change the fluids, the three relays and test the fuses, test the pressure switch. I have a spare brake assembl on its way. What is required for the sequential turn signal conversion?

It's pretty straight forward. The kit has everything you need but the grommets if you want to mount the sequential controllers where i did. They will protect the wires where you feed them through the trunk wall. I have to replace the set I installed on the 'vert this spring [not sure why they failed as they were only about 3 years old. The 'Red's had them for 9 yeras now and still going strong] and am considering buying 2 short trailer harness kits. You have 3 lights on either side and each kit has a provision for three leads, perfect.  My thinking is that I will then have a "quick disconnect" if I wish to remove the taillight for any reason. [such as refinishing the taillight]. The Sequential kit comes with solderless connections, you should solder them after you are satisfied that everything works

Make sure that all your cars original lights work, front, back, turn signals before you start. This way if something is "wrong" after you are done you will know it is just at the rear of the car with what you have just done.

• Ronnie featured this topic