Suggestions for a new floor jack needed.

Ronnie

I noticed yesterday that my floor jack is slowly leaking down. After using it 20+ years it is time for a new one. I'm wanting something that is light (if possible) and lifts fast. The one I have now is slow as hell at getting it up to the car to start lifting.

I'm looking at the Harbor Freight 2 ton aluminum floor jacks. Good price on a light weight floor jack. I'm afraid that I might be going too cheap if I get that one. Anyone have any suggestions on a good floor jack to buy at a decent price?

I bought the Harbor Freight 2 ton portable jack about 4 years ago and it works fine on my Reatta, Eldorado, and Caddy ATS.

Have both the HF Al in 2 ton and 3 ton. Several others.  No problem. Also have a 1940s Heine-Warner that I've replaced the seals twice. Not hard if you have the kit.

Awesome, I'm having the same problem with mine, a 2 ton model from a discount auto shop several years ago

Was looking at some costing 600.00 or more, not in my budget!  Will look into Harbor Freight.

I might be expecting too much in my price range, about $200. I would like to get one lighter than my old Sears jack which is actually a Walker jack. I might be able to get parts to rebuild it but as I get older I look for things that are light and easy to maneuver. My Sears is a heavy duty jack and weighs a lot. Almost too much for me to pick it up and load it into the back of my pickup by myself. I'm hoping to get something a lot lighter and I would like it to come up quickly instead of going up about 1/2" per pump like mine does. Thanks for the input so far.

What does it mean when you don't know how many jacks you have ? For most things the little 1.5 ton alumimun "rapid pump" is easy to throw around and often on sale. Don't forget to get at least the 20% off any one item coupon. My jack stands are at least 3 ton (usually bigger are taller).

5 minutes ago, Padgett said:

For most things the little 1.5 ton alumimun "rapid pump" is easy to throw around and often on sale.

I have been looking at that one. I have a full size regular cab GMC pickup that I would need to lift. Do you think a 1.5 ton would be strong enough to lift that? 

The Sears jack I have now lifts The GMC without problems so I was thinking maybe a 2 ton aluminum might be better than the 1.5 ton.

Quote from a century ago. Google is your friend.

Of course I remember the Algonquin Round Table better than what I had for lunch yesterday.

Edited by Padgett

1 hour ago, Padgett said:

Quote from a century ago. Google is your friend.

Sorry that I don't have time to google something that seems totally unrelated to floor jacks. Maybe I'm just a little focused on the topic at hand.

YEAHBUTI "It cannot raise a full load from a completely flat starting position". NP with mine. Also I can lift to 23" with 6 ton jack stands. OTOH my 6600lb medium rise scissors lift is 4" down and 40" full up, high enough to pull a transmission. Was about $1k more but much more stable laterally and goes straight up. Today I'd go for an Atlas Kwik Bay which is stable and portable. I tend to look for specs first and then shop for price.

Just saying you are better off with a good floor jack and big jack stands than a popular/cheap/short powered lift.

If anyone wants a thread on potable scissors lifts we can talk. Sorry but I tend to think laterally rather than linearly and has gotten me in trouble before.

Edited by Padgett

Yeah, I think all the "Aluminum" jacks advertised as light weight are a little misleading. All I have looked at in my price range are aluminum and steel. The one I have been doing a comparison with is this one. It's 2.5 tons and it weights 54 lbs. It has a 90 day warranty and the one from Amazon has a one year warranty. They both lift basically the same height.  I think i would feel more comfortable buying from Amazon at $150 than HF at ($199) even if they were the same price.

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-ton-aluminum-rapid-pump-racing-floor-jack-64543.html

My old Sears 2-1/4 ton that is all steel weighs 91 lbs so an aluminum one a 60 lbs will be a little lighter, hopefully without sacrificing strength.

8 minutes ago, Padgett said:

OK just checked and my 4,000 lb (2 ton US) "aluminum racing jack" is 45 lbs including pole.

It sounds good. Can you give me me to which on it is so I can check it out?