Sagging Headliner

Ron Walker

The cloth headliner in my '89 is sagging. It's been sagging for years and pretty much all over. I've used the screw in retaining pins to keep the headliner from sagging onto my head. I've screwed these in thru the cloth into the cardboard approximately every 6-8" apart in a pattern that isn't real horrible to look at, but the sagging between the pins makes it look more like "tufted" upholstery with indents that are evenly positioned throughout.  It's been done like this for so long that I don't even see or notice it. However, the edge of the headliner at the window opening has separated from the cardboard and while I can tuck this up between the cardboard and roof, every time I drive with the window down, the headliner becomes untucked and sort of "flaps in the wind." It's annoying and I just tuck it back in between cardboard and roof until the next time. 

I've used spray glue on a headliner I tried to fix in my GMC Caballero a number of years ago, and I simply ruined it. The glue spots soaked into the cloth headliner, hardened and just looked bad.  That's why I just used the retaining pins on my Reatta. But the untucked flapping at the edge begs to be fixed in some fashion. Have any of you dealt with this issue? If so, how did you repair?

I can relate to this problem as the wheeler dealer I bought my’88 from used staples and pins to hold up the ballooning fabric. It’s my understanding that once the fabric separates from the foam backer  there is no repairing it. Best to budget for replacing with new fabric,which is my plan if it gets worse.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Padgett, I get your point. But......

My '89 has a sunroof. It works, but needs a gentle "nudge" from the inside to assist opening. Last I opened it, however, was many years ago. I was afraid it wouldn't close. I get my "open air fix" from my convertible SSR.

I actually think sunroofs are over-rated. I also rarely open the ones in my Avalanche or Camaro. I don't like the sun shining in my eyes from overhead and I hate wearing a hat in what are otherwise hardtop coupes. With the top down in the SSR, a hat is mandatory but I put up with wearing one because an otherwise sun burned scalp ain't fun. 

The one in my '89 Reatta was replaced by a previous owner so it's fine.  However I did once have a rust free 2000 Toyota Corolla from the south that had that problem.  It seems heat from summer sun eventually causes the adhesive to let go.  I took a clear diffusion panel, cut it into strips long enough to fit the ends into the side trim to hold most of it up but also the screw in pins you used, not pretty but then, how often do you look up when in the car? 

I know this isn't much help, I'm afraid you'll have to find a replacement from a donor car, maybe Jim Finn has one.

• Thanks 1