To clean out the garage, buy an EV

Padgett

Never thought I would see the day we had to worry about cars that have no gasoline catching fire.

• Agree 1

OMG!  Apparently they should apply a sticker to every EV, "Use of this product can be hazardous!"

Based on previous recalls wager that GM adds a temperature sensor and a fan.

On 8/23/2021 at 12:07 PM, Ronnie said:

Never thought I would see the day we had to worry about cars that have no gasoline catching fire.

It's been a while since GM was setting it on fire with the Fiero!

My friend I referred to in my fuel pump thread who burned his house down did it the hard way. He added a cooling fan to the radiator of his Astrovan and powered it with a wire that was too small and had no fuse. (Not what you would expect from a reactor operator at a nuclear plant right?) The wire melted when he turned the fan on so he grabbed the wire and tried to pull it loose from the battery with his hand. Doing so burned his hand on the wire so he ran inside the house to get first aid. Little did he know that the still hot wire was melting through the fuel line and ended up setting the house on fire while his wife was applying burn ointment and a Band-Aid to his hand. Once they realized what was happening it was too late. The house was a total loss. I've been skittish of working with gasoline inside the garage ever since.

Homer Simpson? Not to make light of the situation but that name just popped up when you mentioned the circumstance🙄

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, 2seater said:

Homer Simpson? Not to make light of the situation but that name just popped up when you mentioned the circumstance🙄

The house fire incident came not too long after him being in the ICU for two or three weeks because he had thrown a large Dixie cup of gasoline on a smouldering brush fire and set himself on fire. His lungs were damaged so bad from inhaling the fire that they put him in an induced coma on a ventilator for a week or so to give his lungs and esophagus time to heal. I felt a little safer when he told me he had retired from the nuclear plant that is only about 45 miles from my house. He is one of those guys that when you hear him say "Watch This!" you had better run like hell.

I've known him most of his life and he blindly staggers from one catastrophe to another. I could tell you stories all night long about things Robert has done.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I've known him most of his life and he blindly staggers from one catastrophe to another. I could tell you stories all night long about things Robert has done.

I can relate. I know a former co-worker with a similar history: gasoline thrown on a fire, cut the top off a solvent drum with a stick welder, dropped a brand new refrigerator on the highway, stuck the ski of his snowmobile through the back window of his tow vehicle, etc…

Colorful, but scary 😧 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, 2seater said:

I can relate. I know a former co-worker with a similar history: gasoline thrown on a fire, cut the top off a solvent drum with a stick welder, dropped a brand new refrigerator on the highway, stuck the ski of his snowmobile through the back window of his tow vehicle, etc…

Colorful, but scary 😧 

That's a pretty impressive list of screw-ups. Sounds like he ranks right up there with Robert when it comes to doing foolish things. 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2021 at 9:35 PM, Ronnie said:

The house fire incident came not too long after him being in the ICU for two or three weeks because he had thrown a large Dixie cup of gasoline on a smouldering brush fire and set himself on fire. His lungs were damaged so bad from inhaling the fire that they put him in an induced coma on a ventilator for a week or so to give his lungs and esophagus time to heal. I felt a little safer when he told me he had retired from the nuclear plant that is only about 45 miles from my house. He is one of those guys that when you hear him say "Watch This!" you had better run like hell.

On 8/25/2021 at 12:25 AM, Ronnie said:

Thought I would add to this never ending story of Robert bringing bad luck to everything he touches.

Robert called me today and told me his F-150 pickup truck had caught fire and burned everything under the hood and part of the dash before the fire department put it out.  He said it was a total loss and he had no insurance.

He said he had the truck sitting in the driveway idling after adding some transmission fluid. He said he went to his garage to get more fluid without removing the funnel or putting the dipstick back in since it needed just a little more fluid to bring it up to the full mark.  When he came back it was on fire. He thinks maybe the transmission burped some fluid out through the dipstick tube onto the hot exhaust manifold and caught the engine on fire while he was in the garage looking for more fluid. I don't know if that could happen or not. I just see it as another ripple on a sea of misfortune for Robert.

• Sad 1

Robert's bad luck just never ends. Today he called and said his son in college has Covid. So far not in the hospital and just has a few symptoms but he tested positive.