ABS Sensors HELP!

7105timw

I am new to the group and I have read a lot on the ABS sensors for the 1989 Reatta. I may have missed the answer to the problem in one of the older postings and I apologize for hashing over old ground with long time owners. I had a Reatta given to me by my nephew and he is not a classic car guy at all. He gets in and drives and that's about it. When I got the car from him he mentioned he had a ABS light on in the dash and didn't know what the issue was or how to repair it. I did some investigating while replacing struts and found that the rubberized covering on the ABS sensors had deteriorated and exposed the wires. The driver side looks like it is frayed and may possibly be broken inside. Are there any parts numbers for front and back sensors? Will the Cadillac Allante ABS sensors of the same year work if I can't find sensors for my Reatta? No need to hash old ground if you can direct me to the thread that has all the information. There is no doubt that all four need to be replaced because all the rubber coating is gone.

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry that can't offer much help with the ABS sensors. They are no longer new so your options are to buy good used ones or recondition yours. Other members might chime in who have done this before. I have not.  There is information on the ABS sensors in the how-To guides here on ROJ that you might find useful.

I don't think the sensor itself is bad but the wires are going to be an issue. We were changing the struts when all that rubber coating fell off.  I may try to splice and put new wire from the wheel to the plug. I am pretty good at wiring and splicing to the point it would look like it was made that way but wanted to see if anyone had done that before with any success. I will go and read more on the sensors in the how to guide. Thanks for responding

IMG_7008.JPG

The fraying of the outside of the lead going to the sensor is a problem There is just a small voltage being sent by the sensor so any moisture will prevent the signal from reaching the ABS controller. That will set a ABS code turning the ABS light on and the ABS will stop working. One of our forum members, Daves89, has reconditioned a lot of them. I'm sure he will chime in when he logs into the forum and sees your posts.

First off the wire is not an electrical wire. It is more like coaxial cable. So if you want to try repairing yours get some coaxial cable and some coaxial cable splices. I used to rebuild them with my mechanic friend but at this time he has little interest in doing some. If we were to do them again it would be a winter project not now because here in Wisconsin our summers seem so short...

• Thanks 1

Hey thanks for the info. I think I can make that happen. I appreciate the help

• Like 1

Also most GM lines of the period (Cadillac, Olds, Pontiac) also used the Teves Mk II. More in Europe and even F*rd). The gutz are the same. The main difference is in how the bolt hole is clocked, and depth of the sensor (Caddy is longer but can be spaced), and the length of the cable. As you noticed the biggest problem is fraying of the cable, particularly in front. A bad lead will usually set an ABS error code. See section 5E in the service manual.

I'm pulling all that apart this weekend. It is a struggle to find parts for this car but well worth the trouble. If I can get the wheel sensors figured out we will have the car mechanically sound. We have replaced the fuel pump, 4 struts, front end bushings, major tune up that included 02 sensors, MAF, and EGR. We just have the brake thing to finish then we start re-pairing the interior. I am looking into possibly doing what Daves89 had posted. I am still looking into how to do that. I am searching several junk cars in my area for parts but most have the same issue. The sensors look good its just the weather proof covering that has gone away. The driver side front is frayed and I think that was the one that started the ABS light issue after we replaced the front struts. The other three I used the liquid tape in a can and touched up where the rubberized coating was gone. That's only a band aid till I can get a long term resolution figured out. Would the 89 Cadillac Allante have the same system? Thanks for your post and it gives me a couple more options to look into.

Edited by 7105timw

If you get the liquid rubber tape on before the shield is frayed, it will last for a long time.