Need help diagnosing fuel pressure problem.

Ronnie

No but using the override ES-10 you can shut off the injectors one by one and see if one makes no difference.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fuel pump ordered today. I decided to go with the Delphi pump kit and a new Delphi strainer. Will arrive from Amazon in about a week. I've already installed a new fuel filter. Any more parts or special tools I will need?

Still not certain if I will change it myself. I'm going to talk to someone I trust about doing it first. My problem is I'm a young man trapped in an old man's body. My brain says do it yourself. My body says no.

• Agree 1

Only hard part is dropping the tank & have done that before on jackstands. Are lotsa hoses and need to drop the rear sway bar also. Would bet however old you are, I was there first.

Yeah, I think you are older than me but I'm pretty sure as a mechanic/machinist all my life I think my years have probably been a lot harder on the body. Being overweight doesn't help things when getting up and down off the floor.

I have reservations about working with gasoline in an attached garage since a friend had his house burn down from a vehicle fire.  I would rather pay if I can find someone I trust to do it right but I'll do it myself if I have to. I have the skills and tools, just not looking forward to doing it.

it is not a horrible job and it looks more daunting than it is. if you take your time, in small bites, progress will encourage you. There shouldn't be much fuel spillage if the tank is mostly empty; stuff rags in the openings and tape over as they become accessible. Are there appliances in the garage with open flames? That might change the equation.

I will have the tank as empty as the pump can get it before I start. No matter how careful you are gas is going to end up on the floor from disconnecting fuel lines. No appliances in the garage other than garage door openers but even I light switch is a dangerous source of spark if the concentration of gas fumes in the air is right. I guess I could do it in the driveway if I had to...

Might take to driveway to dump residue. Best to have rear at door when dropping and a fan to blow any fumes away.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Padgett said:

need to drop the rear sway bar also

I read that the sway bar needs to be disconnected and let it hang. Disconnect from the end links or the center brackets? Or just completely remove it from the car?

40 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I read that the sway bar needs to be disconnected and let it hang. Disconnect from the end links or the center brackets? Or just completely remove it from the car?

Center links so it swings down if memory serves. It partially overlaps the tank flange so it doesn't require a lot of movement. Same thing for the exhaust heat shields. Not strictly necessary but allows for a straighter downward drop.

Thanks. I'll be jacking it up in a couple of days to take a look around at the tank and connections. Knowing what to look for will be helpful.

Ronnie, my advice is hire somebody you know and trust.  Why go through the hassle, jack the Reatta up, move this, remove that, worry about gas fumes and garage fire, etc, etc.  I'm 72 and have vertigo so I wouldn't be able to do that repair even if I wanted to...can't even do an oil and filter any more. 

14 minutes ago, ship said:

Ronnie, my advice is hire somebody you know and trust.  Why go through the hassle, jack the Reatta up, move this, remove that, worry about gas fumes and garage fire, etc, etc. 

I agree with you. I don't mind spending the money. I'm just particular and think the best way to get a job done right is to do it myself. As I get older I know I'm going to have to change my attitude about that but it's hard to do after being a mechanic all my life.

As soon as I have the new fuel pump in hand I'm going to see if I can get a friend of mine to install it for me. If he will do it, it might be a while before he can do. He has a contract to service a fleet of county police cars at his garage that keeps him really busy. Normally he doesn't take in jobs for individuals but he might do it for me... or recommend someone who will do a good job. I'm not in a big hurry as long as I can get it done one way or the other before cool Fall weather. That's my favorite time of year for driving my Reatta. Put me in my Reatta on a cool Fall day with the windows down and I'm in heaven. 🙂

• Like 1

Will be hard for me since there are few people I'd trust to do it right. Also helps that waaay back in 1984 when I contracted for the house, it was designed to storage and working on. Can open up both ends of the back garage and have many air movement devices. Still are about a month from when it starts to get comfortable to work during the day.

I have a three car attached garage. When I had the house built the plans called for a two car garage. I wish I had built it according to plans with a two car garage and then built a two car garage beside the house with a ceiling high enough to install a lift. Lifts are cheap now at less than $3000 installed. A few years ago I up plans for a two car detached garage like I would like to have but never followed through with getting it built.  There are times like now I wish I had built it and other times I think at my age it would be a waste of money.

My issue was when (1984) I had the house built, family wanted sidewalks and good schools. I needed close to work. Did have a large lot and offset house to keep a 12 foot passage on one side and room for "more" on the other. Was also an HOA and Covenants to consider. 37 years later have an empty nest (room for cats to stampede), and four garage doors (two doubles) most of which cannot be seen from the street. 8x20 pad in front and 10x25 pad in grotto in back. Did have to violate one personal rule: spare Allante is wedged between SLK and "nice" Allante. 7 cars under roof.  Zillow does not know about most but all properly permitted and approved (being in county helps). Have cathedral ceiling in back garage so bit more room but went with a mid-rise (40") portable scissors lift with 4" high ramps when down and 6600lb capacity (used to have an RV that fit inside but could not lift very far. Have a hoist in one bay to remove Allante hardtop). Most of what I do involves removing tires and wheels but easy to work on engine or transmission or gas tank. Computers are on second floor and not in living area. Have waaay too many tires and wheels.

Have also been collecting tools for almost 60 years and if something is missing, Amazon is a day away. eBay takes a bit longer.

• Like 2

Fuel pump and strainer arrived from Amazon today. The flimsy box the strainer came in got mashed all to hell by a heavy box of brake pads I ordered at the same time. Surprisingly it doesn't appear the strainer was damaged.

Amazon needs to do a better job of packing heavy auto parts. They put a box of brake pads, a fuel pump and a strainer loosely in a big box, then threw in a few packaging air bags and and taped it up. I'm going t complain about it but it will be a waste of time.

1 minute ago, Padgett said:

No complain, they may give you a credit for the strainer (the sock ?)

Good idea. I'll try that. Yes, the sock.

Absolutely complain about it. I am finding more and more shoddy packing jobs, and not only Amazon. It is the only way to get them to do better in the future and I have found Amazon to be pretty responsive. A photo will be a plus.

The shipping went downhill when the Covid thing hit and everyone started using them. I guess they don't have much time to spend on packing items.

I got a package yesterday that was part of the same order the fuel pump was in. It was done the same way. Two heavy brake rotors in a big box with some air bags. The postman brought the box to the door and told me to open it and check to see if the items inside were damaged since the box looked so bad on the outside. The rotors were still in the original ACDelco factory boxes and were held together with shipping tape so they were in good condition. That prevented them from banging together. They just bounced around inside the box during handling and beat up the oversized box they were shipped in. I took pictures of that box and the contents before removing anything while the postman was standing there. I'm going to complain to Amazon about that shipment to.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2