Front end vibration?

pbtexan

Agree that the dealership SHOULD be pretty competent, but not really impressed with their skills so far.  Given the raw number of 3.8 L engines like ours, I thought it was going to be a snap to DX.

I'll give it another try there, if not, I guess i need to find an indy with GM skills ! 

And if replacing the ICM/coils, please go with Delco and not Magnavox, Finally with Magnavox do not gap over .045. DelcRapidfire or Iridium plugs and at least 8mm plug wires.

Thanks Padgett !

Got the AC Delco rapid fire plugs.  Had to go with the Autozone wire set since everything else was on backorder (wanted the ACDelco "professional" set for 50 bucks) , but at least they are 8mm wires.

Going to try rock auto for a ACdelco Coil pak.... can get a duralast from Azone but will pay extra for ACD if I can get it.

Looking for a shop that can change plugs for reasonable cost... dealership wanted 400 labor and my local shop bills at 160 x 2 hrs for 350 tax included. 

Heck, I think I can get a mobile mechanic to come to my driveway for $175  labor for plugs and wires !    

based on the online videos, I can replace the coil pack and ICM my self if I need to go to the next step, but there's not enough Ibuprofen to cover me for crawling over the engine to get to the rear plugs and "rassel" with the O2 sensor, etc etc.   Plus I don't have a 4 jointed rachet wrench !!  lol

The saga continues

• Like 1

Since I do most of my own mechanic work I'm really out of touch with what it costs to get something done. I wouldn't have ever thought it would cost $300-$400 to get plugs and wires changed on a 3800 V6. Or even $175 for just labor. Wow.

• Agree 1

Since it takes about a 1/2 hour for the plugs and 10 minutes for the ICM and coils (leaving the hard bolt off) that's about $300/hour. College payment time.

• Agree 1

Yeah, the dealership and most independent "chains" are at 150-160 per hour and Book time is apparently 2 hrs.   Seems excessive if you have the right tools and training.   Found a Mobile mechanic for 175, and my "paint and body" guy does some mechanic work and said he would change them for 120 plus parts.  

After looking at videos, I can do the coil pack if needed and the ICM is right below the coil pack so that's not a problem or a special tool!

We'll see how the plugs and wires work first !

THanks  !!

As suggested above, the Delco setup is demonstrably more powerful and requires all parts be replaced as a set. This is fairly pricey if all purchased new, but it is a good system. The original Magnavox style is okay, and is what I use at present, even turbocharged, but I do intend to swap in a Delco at some point. The only reason I mention this is I strongly suggest installing a new coil pack and ICM as a set, even if staying with the Magnavox style. The reason being; it has been demonstrated that the relationship between a bad coil pack or ICM can have a damaging effect on the other part of the pair, at least in long term use.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well Team,  Update time !

Bought the parts, checked the local prices and scheduled a Home Visit Mechanic (yourmechanic.com) to come out to the house this past Monday.

Guy showed up on time, did a nice job of changing the plugs, and wires and coil pak ( I changed the airfilter while I was waiting for him to show up - it looked original for 17 K miles)

No noticeable issues with wires, but plugs were all rather "rusty and crusty" ... quite possibly originals?  They were generally "tan" but the porcelain body was very dark at the connection to the threaded piece.

Coil pak did have some "goo" leaking on the backside next to the ICM, wiped it off the seals, reconnected the wires to the clips and bolted everything together.

Fired right up!  Ran it to work yesterday (1/2 at 40 mph side streets and 1/2 at freeway) and back home (all freeway 25 miles) at 100degrees outside temp.  

Result:  pulled like a dream up to 85 mph, cruised smooth, no "burbles, vibrations, etc" under acceleration load.  Let it coast back down to 60 and repeated the accleration load test 3-4 times up to 80, never missed a beat !

Thank you to Ronnie, Ron W, Padgett, 2seater for the advice and encouragement.   

Going to hunt down and replace the fuel filter for good luck, and then on to the radio repair so I can have some tunes !

🙂  Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Glad you got it fixed. Fuel filter is under the car on the inside of the subframe about where your left foot rests on the floorboard.