BCM Codes via CRT

Ron Walker

While looking into the ECM Codes, the CRT diagnostic center next runs through the BCM Codes and then the CRT Codes. I have a total of 6 BCM Codes, 5 of which shows "History" and one as "Current." 

Three of these Codes show a Diagnostic Message on the CRT, and the other three do not provide a "telltale light or message."  The one "Current" message deals with the Cruise Control which I have elected to not explore. The others are "History," which as noted, either provide a message or not.  In the case of a message, I have simply hit the "return," the message goes away, and may or not reappear. Fortunately, none of the BCM Codes I have required a "Service Engine Soon" warning.

My current plan is to clear the codes and wait and see if they reappear.

Just not sure how to clear the codes.  Help.

I just posted info on clearing codes in your other thread. I would deal with the ECM code first. I don't believe any of the BCM codes will effect engine performance. What is the BCM code that is current?

Agree, GM says record codes, clear codes, see what comes back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The BCM code that is current is B671 and says "Cruise Servo Position Sensor Circuit Problem."

The cruise control in my Reatta quit working years ago and I never had it checked to correct the problem. I figured it wasn't worth the trouble since I rarely used the car for long trips. 

However, periodically, and for no particular reason, the CRT will show a message that says "Cruise Control System Problem. Cruise has been disengaged. See owners manual for Cruise operation Instruction. If malfunction persists, service check required." However, when this message shows up, I hit "return" and keep on trucking. 

Maybe there is a simple fix?

With the "history" codes, is there a way to determine when the code was initially posted and for how long?

First check the vacuum lines. Then AFAIR (was decades ago may be a different number) there are three servos inside that can get stuck and leak. Cleaning usually fixes. BTW that is just a standard cruise control unit used on millions of GM cars.

• Thanks 1

Padgett is correct in that there are millions in a you pick yard. My testing is this; remove the servo, suck on the large hose and if it doesn't leak, it's good. Never had the electronics go bad. I have 3 Reattas [plus one gone to 2seater]with combined mileage of 950,000 miles and only swapped one out due to seals, never electronics...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1