Self induced ignition issue

DAVES89

A week ago my wife and I were at the beach with the 'vert enjoying the water and sun. When we got set to leave the car wouldn't start, no click, no nothing. Battery power was good but nothing. Tried moving the steering wheel up and down, no luck. Let the car sit for 5 minutes, fired up like nothing prior had ever happened. Intermittent issues are the worst so all I could do was continue to drive it until it became permanent, which was today this time at a McDonalds where I met a client. Tried everything as before and waited even longer and still no luck. So I called Kendall my good friend and top mechanic for advice. He said maybe crawl under the car and jump the starter and maybe that would work. As it was raining I did not want to do that. So I called my wife to see if she could get me, and while I was on the phone with her, Kendall called back and said that "Remember when we did the vats bypass? Unplug it and and plug in the original harness."

About 4 years ago I went out to the local You Pick yard and grabbed a lead off a Riv and we wired in the resistor not affecting the 'verts original harness, which was good because all I had to do was unplug the resistor harness and plug in the vat's harness. 

Tried the ignition and viola! it started and ran. have tried the ignition close to ten times since and it has fired up every time since. Hopefully it stays that way...

Kendall saved you again! Good to have a friend like that. Do you think the resistor went bad or maybe it was just a bad connection?

I really think it was the resistor because the pigtails were factory and had the locking clips. I also had the "Security" warning light on for some time, but I didn't do anything other the installing a IPC that had a burnt out "Security" light bulb [lol]. I think I will just let the VATS system be original.

I can't believe Kendall remembered that and I didn't...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Wonder if the resistor had become marginal. They can change value over time. Have two VATS cars now and just have two sets of the right key for each.

I don't have a car with VATS but I thought the reason for bypassing with a resistor was when you have a bad key reader in the ignition lock. Is there another reason you would bypass it with a resistor?