Rough idle less than a minute at start up.

RemSteele

Very sorry team. I search the forum and l can't find my issue. The Reatta sits these days, couple at a time. It starts right up but less than a minute during warm up it will hesitate (lately almost to stalling) but it will not and then run perfect.

Need help. PVGP in a couple of days from NJ.

Thanks,

RJ

Something isn't making a good transition from cold to warm. I cannot say mine runs perfectly at all times during warmup either, but then, it isn't stock. I imagine there are no codes? If it eventually runs well, it may be difficult to track down. Have you done any recent work, or perhaps changed fuel stations or just filled up? 

My car did something similar a few years ago. It would start just fine. No problems backing out of the driveway to the street but when I got to the stop sign at the intersection about 50 yards away it would start running rough when I started to pull out. Then it would smooth out as I accelerated up to speed. It started out by doing it every now and then and progressively got worse. Swapping in another used MAF sensor cured the problem. I had a spare used one thanks to Daves89 so that made it easy to find the problem.

Don't go out and buy a new MAF sensor based on my past experience. They are expensive. If you have a used on try it or you can try unplugging the MAF sensor and see if that makes a difference. If the symptoms change when you unplug it the MAF sensor might be your problem.

• Agree 1

Thanks as always for the quick response.

Does anyone have any experience with MAF cleaner/spray?

Grateful,

RJ

FYI. No luck with the MAC cleaner. Car no longer starts or runs with MAG plugged in. Ugh!!!

The tiny wires in the MAF sensor are very fragile. Did you maybe touch one with the tip of the spray nozzle and damage it?  Will the engine start with the MAF unplugged?

Thanks Ronnie. Very careful not to touch them. Yes the car will start and run with the MAF unplugged.

Broken MAF sensor. New one on order for this afternoon $$$

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

RJ

• Like 1

Update: New one installed. Cold start this morning, everything appears to be corrected (concerned as my mechanic said keep the box-they can be finicky) At almost $200 bucks I expect them to work right the first time.

Take away: Sample clearly broken- should have the elements enclosed in a plastic covering with a opening

: Get a spear if you can

: They make a refurbish one around $100 and a core is required

: The car will run with it broken just line up the piece so the air flow isn't restricted (or remove)

: Jury is still out on the CRC clean spray/cleaner

I hopes this helps someone as I have been able to get a lot of help from this site.

Thanks Ronnie as always for pointing me in right direction.

See you guys when I get back from the PVGP,

Regards,

RJ

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RemSteele said:

should have the elements enclosed in a plastic covering with a opening

Probably wouldn't work correctly. The elements must be in the air stream in order for them to be cooled by the air passing over them which changes the resistance giving the ECM information about how much air is passing through the intake. The ECM uses that information as part of it's calculations to determine the correct amount of fuel to inject into the cylinders.

• Agree 1

The later model MAF for a 91 looks identical externally but it is configured as described. Performance is the same but the elements are better protected when removed from the housing. Cannot be retrofitted.

Glad you found the problem. Many of us have spares culled from the salvage yards for just such an event😖

Edited by 2seater
  • Like 1

I’ve cleaned my MAF with commercial cleaner made exclusively for this task in a spray can. Can’t recall manufacturer, but sold at AutoZone. Super easy to do!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MarkN said:

I’ve cleaned my MAF with commercial cleaner made exclusively for this task in a spray can. Can’t recall manufacturer, but sold at AutoZone. Super easy to do!

Could you tell if it made a difference after you cleaned it?

No, can’t say I noticed an improvement, but I really cleaned just because I thought it would be “good practice “. The engine was running normally prior.

• Thanks 1

"t less than a minute during warm up it will hesitate " sound like when it switches from open loop to closed loop and starts listening to the O2 sensor.

I would do the easy thing first. Clean the Idle Air Control and the Idle Air Control housing. Then maybe the O2 Sensor.