Big project this spring

DAVES89

It is a smooth running motor and as I was driving it home from Kendall's I did "punch it" and it accelerated well. It does start a bit harder then I am used to [ this morning I tried it and I had to "grind" the key for abou 2-3 seconds before it caught and started] but I think after talking with Ronnie to swap out the fuel pump relay. The engine got a little "close" as it went in so maybe something happened. It is starting better then the first day we finished so I am incouraged.

Thanks for all the kind words and I will keep you guys updated after I try the relay swap.

Tomorrow the Red goes in for an alignment and then on a 150 mile drive as I have appointments. It will be a mix of urban and freeway driving so it will be a good first trip for the new engine. As good as the car runs I am sure it will be fine.l

Will post later how we did.

Also swapped out the fuel pump relay with another. Sometimes it starts just like always some times grinds for 2-3 seconds and then starts. I am going to watch it. I would have gone to the local parts house for new relays, but it was just too cold and rainy and I didn't feel like it.

Just got back after a 150 mile drive today. Car/engine/tranny worked great. Started/ran right, shifted at all the right points. I set the CRT screen to ECM and watched all the shift points were I started from a dead stop to overdrive, then accelerated hard and watched it drop into second and then shift back to third and then to overdrive. I also accelerated softer and saw it shift down to third from overdrive and then back to overdrive again.

I had also swapped out the fuel relay [saturday], and the car starts real good now. I didn't even notice any issues and wouldn't have thought about it unless I started typing this.

So all in all I think I am good and have a "new" drive train again.

Changed oil this morning as I had about 250 miles on the new engine. I was down about 3/4 quart and while I was a bit concerned I could see no leaking. I stopped in by the builder so he could see the end result and asked him about that. He said it was normal as all the lifters and valleys needed to fill up. He was impressed that we were done so fast and at how well it ran. He complimented Buick on such a well designed motor and said I should get years of service from it.

I then went to the body shop and it looks like it will be going in next week for a frint end paint job.

Then I swap out the dash and STOP.

That should be enough for this car.

Looking forward to a fun summer of driving...

Changing the oil was a good idea. it's not too uncommon for a rebuilt engine to burn a little oil until the rings get seated. At the garage where I use to work the owner would recommend that the car with an engine we rebuilt not be driven for long periods at constant speeds if possible. He recommended moderately accelerating and slowing down to help the rings wear in properly. I think he said for the first one hundred miles but I don't remember the miles for sure.  That is what I always did on my engines that I rebuilt and I've never had a problem with using oil. He also recommended running a little Marvel Mystery Oil in the first couple of tanks of gas to help with top cylinder lubrication until the rings get broke in. On these cars with cat converters I don't know if that would be a good idea or not. Do whatever your mechanic friend recommends. Good luck with your new Reatta!!!

Thanks for the supporting comments Ronnie.

I am sure the engine is good and I have to say that the higher compression pistons, '88 cam and cleaning up the exhaust ports and pipe makes this engine peppier then the other two Reattas I have. I like how the new tranny shifts and everything seems so responsive.

I really am having a hard time keeping my foot out of it and I think there was room for G M to have built these cars with a bit more performance. I'm pretty sure I am still under 200 HP so I'm not worried about the tranny blowing out. Besides I am not interested in doing burn outs I just like more acceleration.

Thanks to everyone for their advice, especially Ronnie for things to watch for and 2seater for coming over and looking at what I had and helping me through what used parts to use and what new parts to buy. The engine builder was a little concerned about the higher compression pistons [he didn't think there was going to be enough clearance] but after he got it together and turned the crank he was sure it was going to be good.

And it is...

No doubt I was impressed how smoothly it ran. I learned it as the theory of carburetion, but it's really the theory of everything: "If some is good, more is better and too much is just right". If you get adventurous, a MAF reading up around 150 would be approx. 200hp. The conversion is about 1.32 x MAF in gr/sec = hp. based on the stock 65% engine efficiency.

No doubt I was impressed how smoothly it ran. I learned it as the theory of carburetion, but it's really the theory of everything: "If some is good, more is better and too much is just right". If you get adventurous, a MAF reading up around 150 would be approx. 200hp. The conversion is about 1.32 x MAF in gr/sec = hp. based on the stock 65% engine efficiency.

I guess you would have to check the reading at maximum RPM to measure maximum horsepower? Just wondering.

I guess you would have to check the reading at maximum RPM to measure maximum horsepower? Just wondering.

Yup, foot to the floor through at least one gear through the shift point. Probably a good idea to get the engine broken in for a while first. Best performance in cool, dry air with high barometer. It is an approximation, but on the same car, under similar conditions, it may give an indication if that hi-flow air filter, or straight through muffler etc... really does any good :)

I think the only time I've had my foot to the floor in my Reatta was when I got in a redlight to redlight race with a Honda S2000. I think he had an automatic because I could jump him out of the hole and by the time his boost started to kick in we had to slow down. At the last redlight where we came to open road he blew by me like I was backing up.  I had a great time but it prompted my daughter who was with me to call me an "old fool". :)

I'm willing to do that [at a later date] but what code do I read?

Phase two starts as the Red goes in tomorrow for some front end paint work. Then the dash...

I'm willing to do that [at a later date] but what code do I read?

Just read the MAF output. Works best with a before and after test using the same MAF, but you have to start somewhere. The readout lags a little bit so run it right through the shift.

Well the Red got dropped off today. Before I took it in I touched up the driver's inner door. So that part is done. Ryan [the body man] wanted me to take out the screws for the cornering lamps to make it easier for him. We also talked about removing the drivers door handle [the paint has faded] for him to paint off the car. I tried for a bit to remove it but then decided that as long as it is working I will leave it be. My biggest fear wasn't removing it but installing the replacement [ from that '90 Reatta in the West Bend salvage yard]. As long as I was there I did swap out the actuator as the little rubber boot at the push rod was starting to tear. I also had a like new courtesy light and door handle cup [also from that '90 in the salvage yard] so I dressed that up.

Next week the car will be done and then on to the dash...

He's painting front fenders, hood and the fog light area. Everything else on the car looks good.

You might remember Ronnie when I stopped in to see you on my way to Florida a couple of years ago I pointed out the scrape I put in the fiberglass panel below the bumper. I had said that I would wait until I got a few more stone chips and then have the front of the car redone. Well now is the time. I am quite sure that this will be the last time she will see paint.

He started on it this afternoon and I should get it back Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest. He works at a dealership and the body shop manager lets them moonlight on jobs when there is no work. They are slowing down so rather then going home early he does jobs like this. The nice thing is they have all the good dealership equipment [computer color matching, tint machine, spray booth, etc.]. So I get a great paint job and he makes a few bucks when things are slow.

He goes to my church and was in the car repair ministry years with me years ago. I helped him on a few home repair projects. he's a good young man...

Stopped by to see how the Red was doing. All the sanding has been done and it is in primer. He should be finished tomorrow [Wednesday] and I can pick it up Thursday. That works as I will be out on appointments on Wednesday.

Looked nice sitting in the shop!

Regular work got in the way [imagine that!] so the Red is still not done. It is painted and tomorrow the trim goes on. He called me up to stop by and look at it and it really looks good. Ryan [my bodyman friend who is doing the work] said there were a lot of chips in the paint so the prep work time took a lot longer.

So tomorrow is the day. Can't wait...

I'm sure you are going to love it. My car has several chips on the front that I've had to touch up. It looks OK but there's nothing like fresh paint.

Well finally today was the day. I would have been able to pick it up Friday but Ryan [the body man] went to the shelf for gold pinstripe and there was none. So he ordered it out and it arrived today. I picked it up about 2 hours ago and have to say it looks great. I am very happy. Kendall also saw it and his comment was that it looked like a new car and it does. While I couldn't do anything about stone chips in the front end I have always been careful about door dings and/or anything else. So now with the front end painted, phase 2 is done. Now I do the dash and this car will be done.