Trying to decipher ABS trouble code

tmechanic

It sounds like progress👍 From a dead start after the accumulator has been completely depleted, I find 45-60 seconds is the pump run time to completely recharge the system plus fluid level should drop 1/2” or a bit more. Pedal should feel very different from the rock hard

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, 2seater said:

I find 45-60 seconds is the pump run time to completely recharge the system

Earlier I said 15 seconds but that was a typo. I was thinking 45 seconds but my fingers weren't.  🙂

• Like 1

That sounds like what was happening.  Probably because it sat for so long, the pump is probably gummed up, after I pick up a replacement I'll see about de-gunking this one.  When the ABS is out, it doesn't feel much different than driving the old International pickup at the farm, but it does get you into the habit of planning your stops and keeping an eye on everyone around you.

Edited by tmechanic

Just be aware that brake boost and ABS are two different systems, plus, if you do not have the boost pump operating properly, you do not have any rear braking at all.

• Like 1

The ABS is an anti skid mechanism. In the "old" days we used to pump the brakes to avoid skids. In normal driving you should see no difference in braking with the ABS working or not. As 2seater said two different systems in one Master Cylinder.

And your idea to have an extra pump/motor is a great one. I have extra one in Texas and two here at home [1 Reatta in Texas, 2 in Wisconsin].

Edited by DAVES89
  • Like 1

If you get another pump try to keep as much of the old fluid in it as possible. It can be really hard to get the air out of the brake pumps if you drain all the fluid out.

After you have another pump installed you should flush and bleed the brakes as described in one of the How-to guides here on ROJ to put new fluid in and get the old fluid out at the same time without introducing air into the system.

• Like 1

I just watched a video on the Teves Braking system. It describes the components and how it works.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent video, though I watched only a portion thereof. I'll try to remember to get back to this when time permits. A 29 minute video requires more patience than I have at the moment.  Thanks for posting this video. 

The contemporary Teves MK II and the Bosch MK III ABSs are very similar systems (biggest difference is the accumulator but the pressures are the same). However the GM Powermaster (turbo Buick) is just a power brake and uses much lower pressures.