Upper Shift Cable

RemSteele

Hi Team,

Need your help. Had a scare this morning. No gears, not even park. After cooler heads prevailed I was able to take a look and I see my shift cable popped off. 

Of course it appears not to just pop back on and stay.

Am I replacing the entire cable? A quick google search shows a bushing repair kit?

As annoyed as I am, I'm glad it happen now rather 3 weeks for now when I was on my way to the PVGP 🙂  

Reatta Shift Cable.jpg

It's a fairly common problem. Some people just tie it back on with bailing wire or something. Others have took the time to drill and tap the lever so a screw can be used to hold it on as shown below

shifter_repair.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the response. I must admit some electrical tape and a zip tie cross my mind. Not my usual style.

Does anyone have experience replacing the cable? I have removed consoles before.

Thanks for everyone 's help.

RJ

Definitely a zip tie moment. Use only black, they last longer.

• Agree 1

Thanks again. I must admit, I'm weakening. Just ordered the $20 "bushing repair kit". I'm sure I will lose sleep tonite.

Does anyone have the correct OE part number?

Am I buying a 30 year old product? Should be fine, not subjected to 30 years of engine heat.

I value everybody opinion.

RJ

I didn't know they made a bushing repair kit. $20 sure beats all the work to change the cable. Let us know how it works out.

FYI team. Zip tie is a no go, too close to a heat sheild. Maybe to get you off the highway. 

Still looking for the GM factory part number?

Thanks team,

RJ

20210705_084634.thumb.jpg.6caf7957adbc6235a4cb439a24cc8221.jpg

Thanks again. The "bushings repair kit" should be here by next weekend. With the problem being so common, surprised no one can comment on this kit. Seems like a simple fix. 

Things that seem to good to be true usually aren't I guess.

Thanks for the suggestions!!!

RJ

give us a link to the kit so we can take a look at it.

• Agree 1

Machiner55 [over there] did a repair on March 9 2013 using a drill and tap followed by a set screw and washers

Please try link below:

content://com.amazon.cloud9.FileProvider/images/screenshot/16255360439021844643295.jpg

Just received the "your item has shipped" . Eta is next weekend, rain in the forecast 😞

It might work great but I would be concerned about the drill bit hanging and breaking the brittle plastic end off the cable rendering the cable useless. I'm a machinist and I can see that happening. It looks like it is an expensive alternative to a piece of wire tied around the arm to hold the cable in place. A piece of stainless wire would probably outlast most of our Reattas.

• Like 1

Seems like valid concern. Still looking for a cable OE GM part number. By the lack of response,  should l be concerned that it's NLA?