Replacing ECM in '89

89 MAUI

It's pretty straightforward. Open glove box and feel for the three torx screws [T 15] on the floor of the glove box and two on the ceiling. Then there are one on each side for the vertical hold. Then it should slide out. You don't have to disconnect the fuel and trunk release or the light. 

I've not removed the ECM but I thought it came out from under the dash near the console. Glove box has to come out to?

ECM drops down from the side. BCM and HVAC programmer are behind the glove box.

I looked and didn't find it Woody. Maybe some of the photo below will help but they are from my '88 which is different. I hope it helps. You can see all the screws have been partially removed that will have to come out. the second photo shows the BCM behind the glove box.

Glovebox (8).jpg

Glovebox (3).jpg

Looked again and found it right off the bat. It's listed in section 8C, page 4 under Instrument Panel Console & Gages

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was able to see the ECM by removing the lower plate that also holds the lamp that shines upon your feet when the door is opened,  I found one screw that faces me and I removed it.  I was able to "wiggle" the ECM down about an inch but I am unable to see if there is something holding the ECM on the firewall side, it is able to come down about a 1/2" but no further.  I don't want to get rough with all the wires in the ECM connectors but there must be something still holding the ECM.  Any clues?

From memory it is only the carpeting holding you back. I only remember one screw.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

From memory it is only the carpeting holding you back. I only remember one screw.

Thanx Dave, I pulled the carpeting back but there is something else that is holding the ECM from dropping down.  I was able to remove the glovebox but I saw nothing on top of the ECM that would be holding the ECM from dropping.

I pushed the '89 back into the garage because of the heat so she will stay in the garage until hurricane ELSA passes by.

Is one nut then it should slide down. Remind my why you think the ECM is bad ?

Woody, Here is a photo of the location of the oil pressure sender we discussed on the phone.

oil_pressure_sender.JPG

oil_pressure_sensor_location.jpg

I've replaced one on a curb before.  This one  looks OK. GM are so notorious for going bad that I always just kept an extra in stock.

BTW this is for early 3800s, After 91 they used a different one.

• Thanks 1

I replaced the oil pressure sender on mine with a pair of channel locks many years ago by bending over the fender. I did remove the belt to make it easier to get at the sender.

I used a vice grips using the new one to set the jaw size on the vice grips. Worked well.

Padgett -

Hurricane has passed, no rain, the morning temp is in the 70's and I pulled the '89 out of the garage onto the driveway.

Pulled the connector off of the oil pres and jumpered the contact then turned the ignition ON and the fuel pump started running.  I removed the jumper and turned the ignition ON and the fuel pump did not run.  I plugged the connector back on the oil pres.  I connected my volt meter to the green fuel connector and it read 0 volts then I turned the ignition ON and the meter jumped to 12V for 1 1/2 seconds then dropped to 0 volts then stayed at 0 volts.  I then spoke with Ronnie at Reatta Journal and he explained that the green connector should then stay at 12V via the oil pres sw.  So now the ECM Is not getting an input from a source and reading through the manual I am thinking it might be the crankshaft sensor.

I was able to catch a neighbor to give me assistance and I was able to pullout a sparkplug and he attempted to start the engine and I know the plug was grounded but there was no spark.

With the above info what is your thought.

Woody

BTW - I met Ken who lives near me in Elkridge, Md who did own a red Reatta and he said you flew in and worked on his Reatta.  Two interesting things about Ken was he worked on the Reatta production line back when and he owned an original hardcover Reatta maintenance manual which is rare.  The other thing is his small collection of motor cycles.

This is mixing and matching a number of things. OK the 1.5-2 seconds is the prime shot sent when the ignition is turned on. ONCE. If the engine does not start the oil pressure never comes up (unless you crank for a while) and the pump does not turn on.

If you have no spark that is a different problem and one that needs to be fixed before worrying about the fuel pump.

• Agree 1

Interesting…I had to replace the oil pressure sender on my ‘91 and it is oriented horizontally, not vertically as shown in the photo above.

(Why would GM change something so simple?)