Fog Lamps - DELCO 880

89 MAUI

I checked and the DELCO 880 lamps are now out of production but SYLVANIA has the 880 but not sure if the SYLVANIA might be the DELCO 880.  But check your local parts store for the 880 Lamp.  I bought the last 880 in my area from three different parts houses.

My fog lights are working fine but the old "WHAT IF" comes into play then it will be worth the $11 for a spare lamp.

Edited by 89 MAUI
  • Like 1

Since the fog lights are known for overtemping, I'd look for a LED like this. Anyone using ?

I thought the 881 was the correct bulb for the fog lights. Am I wrong about that?

• Like 1

I agree with Ronnie - the "light bulb guide" I downloaded from the ROJ site sometime ago shows the fog light as "Sylvania 881." Don't know how this compares to Delco.  By the way, I've replaced the fog lamps once or twice over the past 25 years of ownership. Doesn't seem like a big deal. My fog lights are "on" at all times. I use them as DLR lights. Never had a problem with over temping. 

The chart could be wrong. I made it. The difference is the 880 bulb has a straight electrical connection and the 881 has a 90 degree connector. I have 881 bulbs in my Reatta. Which is the correct bulb?

SYLVANIA - 881 Basic - Halogen Light Bulb for Fog, Cornering, and Daytime Running Lights (Contains 1 Bulb)

• Like 1

I think I went with 880, but I have now gone to all LED. I should go to LED for the rear license plate lights. That is where the heat is and because it is on the taillight harness it would reduce the draw a little bit as well. Same with the back up lights. 

Just tonight I was over by Kendall's for "POOL" night and we swapped in one sequential light controller that failed. Lifetime warranty. Also replaced all the taillights with 2057. This was on the 'vert. Right now everything works as it should. Sometime in June will be a road trip to Texas to swap the 'vert for the Red. Miss the Red...

I've relied on the chart for a number of replacement bulbs. Never had a problem with compatibility. 

My Reatta had 881 bulbs in it when I got it. I have since installed 881 LEDs. Now I'm wondering which is the correct factory bulb. the 880 or the 881?

I put in the LEDs because they are brighter and get more attention from other drivers as I use them for daytime running lights. You can see how bright they are in this photo.

dragon5-23-7.jpg

The FSM lists the 881 as the correct bulb for the Fog Lights.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I believe the 90* type connection is correct, but beyond that, the specs are the same. I too use led's in the fogs, license plate, all interior courtesy, backup and underhood/trunk lights. The fog lights are glorified marker lights IMHO, and the switch to led's makes them more noticeable during the day. I do wish the other almost 30 bulbs didn't also illuminate when used as DRL's but I never looked into defeating that circumstance.

• Like 1

Think the only difference between a 880 and an 881 is the angle of the plug. Would be a minor rewire to transition the fogs from "with taillights" to "alone with ignition"

• Agree 1

I note other posts about changing out the wiring harness for converting the headlights to LEDs. However, are any changes necessary to plug in an LED fog light in lieu of the OEM? Or, is this just a plug in and all is OK?

No changes are needed to plug LED bulbs in the fog lights.

Adding a wiring harness is the best way to use LED headlight bulbs in place of the OEMs. The harness has relays in it that will allow the headlight doors to work properly with the LED bulbs, plus it takes some of the load off the headlight switch. Power for the headlights is routed through the relays straight to the battery, bypassing the headlight switch.

• Thanks 1