Replacing rusted brake lines on 89

Vincent

Hi All

Does anyone know the tube nut specs going into the abs unit? (the middle rear brake line). 

I'm replacing all my rusted brake lines and I stripped the nut removing it. The fitting is very large and I've taken it to every auto-parts store (napa, autozone, oreilly, advanced auto) and no one can seem to help me. Any help would be appreciated. 

Thank you

Vince

image.png.f242557a5d757c793a1b567072676ddc.png

image.png.cac5331fedd688191cd55b051b7dd356.png

image.png.616c1dea0ef08ff15c194a9db9397452.png

tube nut2.pdf tube nut1.pdf abs2.pdf abs1.pdf

Edited by Vincent

Doesn't look that bad to me, do you have a set of flare nut wrenches ?

flare.jpg

Not a complete answer, but if you are looking for the thread size and pitch, I have taken parts to the hardware store and used their thread sample board to do so. That would at least narrow the search. I am sure it is metric as the majority of the rest of the system is

m10x1.0

Hi 2seater and Padgett

Thank you for your replies. I took the nut to all auto stores and it doesn't fit into their largest sample board hole. And Padgett I suppose I could try and reuse the nut and flare a new line through it; however, it is very beat up.

Thanks again

Vince

Vincent, referring to your first pic, are you trying to take the large nut in the middle off, or the small flare nut that screws into the large nut. The small flare nut should come out like the others.

I tried getting a look at that fitting but in the car it points straight down and can only feel it. The line should be plain old 3/16" tubing like the others but the nut is oversize by the look and feel. Does anyone have the Teves book about the system? This is a nut selection for 3/16" tubing I bought last year. Do any of them look about right? 

Amazon.com: The Stop Shop Metric Brake Line Fitting Kit for 3/16" Tube. (ISO/Bubble Flare): Home Improvement

PS: The test nuts I use for finding fittings is at a hardware store which will go much larger than common brake stuff.

Oops, it looks like my actual order🤢

Edited by 2seater

Hi All thanks for the responses.

I was unable to find a replacement tube nut for the rear brake line. I just drilled the old line out of the stripped nut and reflared a new brake line.

I had to cut each brake line to replace smaller fittings with m10 x 1.0 fittings so they could fit into hydraulic brake hoses and prop valve.

Also it was helpful to remove the brake reservoir, accumulator, and pump (comes out in one piece) in order to reach brake lines but make sure to disconnect battery and pump brake thirty times to remove pressure.

The part number for the proportioning valve is 25525844 but it is not available anywhere. I was thinking of using a universal prop valve or maybe using a t splitter then making the line going into the driver side rear wheel the same length as the passenger line and just bending it back and forth to allow for same pressure on both sides. Any thoughts on this? My proportioning valve might still work but it is one giant ball of rust.

Thanks again!

Vince